Old 21-09-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manure

I have sown green manure this year on my allotment following my
potatoes and peas.I cleared the ground of weeds,forked over the area
and sowed one plot in mid July with phacelia and vetch,and the other
plot in early August with italian ryegrass and clover.
The phacelia is now in flower,and I intend to dig this in in the next
couple of weeks.
However,although the ryegrass/clover mix is growing well,so are the
weeds,some of which are beginning to flower.I had hoped to leave this
ryegrass to overwinter,but do not really want the weeds to produce
lots of seed,and hence 7 years trouble.
I thought that ryegrass was supposed to smother weeds,but that does
not seem to be happening.Perhaps I have sown too early.Should I dig in
the green manure now,or hope that a frost will come along soon to stop
the annual weeds seeding?
Michael
Old 21-09-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Sep, 17:38, michael wrote:
[...]

I have had the same experience. I've pulled the flower heads off as
the appeared. Tedious.

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Spinach as green manure??? Rick Edible Gardening 3 29-05-2004 09:02 PM
bananna skins as green, or yellow, manure Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 20-05-2004 08:08 AM
green manure? PA United Kingdom 3 19-10-2003 10:12 PM
PHACELIA TANACETIFOLIA as a green manure al Gardening 2 25-08-2003 12:22 AM