Old 19-10-2003, 12:02 PM
PA

Default green manure?

Hello
Is it too late to sow green manure?
I'm in the south east with a very exposed plot,
the GM is a mix of two perennial rye grasses
and a clover, the pack says till September.
I did sow about 20m square beginning of
September that's now sprouting nicely
(or it's the couch grass that's coming back though:-)))).
I would of sown it all in September but I've been off
work for the last 3 weeks with a ripped neck muscle.
I was going to try to sow the rest of the next couple of days
about 140m square.
but the weathers meant to change for the worst next week.
so should I leave it till spring now?

Thanks
PA

Old 19-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:54:46 +0100, "PA" wrote:

Hello
Is it too late to sow green manure?

What have you got to lose?

I have been sowing mine for a few weeks now and so far most of it has
sprouted.

I'm going up to so the remaining lot of Clover, Fenugreek, Tares &
Field Beans this afternoon. Because it's been so dry, I have soaked
the seeds for a few hours (in the hope that this will improve the
chances of germination).

I guess that any that doesn't sprout now might come up in Spring
instead. I've planted mine in drills, so at least it should be easy to
identify and remove if that happens.

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , PA
writes
Hello
Is it too late to sow green manure?
I'm in the south east with a very exposed plot,
the GM is a mix of two perennial rye grasses
and a clover, the pack says till September.
I did sow about 20m square beginning of
September that's now sprouting nicely
(or it's the couch grass that's coming back though:-)))).
I would of sown it all in September but I've been off
work for the last 3 weeks with a ripped neck muscle.
I was going to try to sow the rest of the next couple of days
about 140m square.
but the weathers meant to change for the worst next week.
so should I leave it till spring now?

If you can carry out the seeding fairly soon, i.e. before any
significant change for the cooler in the weather, go ahead and do it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.