Old 24-09-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fencing height

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:04:18 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:43:21 +0100, "Pete"

wrote:
Seems reasonable to me - except I do not see the point of the "each and
every occasion" factor.
Surely a happy to all precedent could be established, to cover all
occasions.

If you look up the law/regulation all it says is that cuttings/branches
belong
to the owner of the tree/hedge.
--

As owner he can give the material to the neighbour, if mutually agreed.

and the other way around too :-)

Only when the music stops perhaps !

Old 24-09-2010, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Martin[_2_ Wrote:
;901067']On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:10:13 +0100, aries

wrote:
-
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone

tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?-

'BBC News | Cracking Crime' (
http://tinyurl.com/2u7v9rk)

"However, most local council planning regulations only permit a
residential
fence to be erected to a maximum height of six feet. Check regulations
with your
local council."
--

My understanding is that below 2m you do not have to apply for planning
permission.

If you want to go higher than that, you will need planning permission
(and perhaps building regs permission re foundations).

So you could ask and see what they'd be likely to approve. Nothing to
lose if you're content to keep with a hedge if you don't like their
answer.

Sheds are a max of 1.8 metres (6ft) to the eaves without PP.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 24-09-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes
No!! They are not irrelevant at all if you ever fall out with your
neighbours over trees and fences and you've gone against your deeds.
Their deeds will be similar so they know what is allowed and won't hesitate
to use it against you to press their case.

The covenants are between you and the seller of the property, not
between you and your neighbours even though the seller might be a
developer who has entered into similar contracts with every other buyer
on an estate - but IANAL
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 24-09-2010, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
there's no fee.

....yet
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 24-09-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-09-24 15:51:15 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes
No!! They are not irrelevant at all if you ever fall out with your
neighbours over trees and fences and you've gone against your deeds.
Their deeds will be similar so they know what is allowed and won't hesitate
to use it against you to press their case.

The covenants are between you and the seller of the property, not
between you and your neighbours even though the seller might be a
developer who has entered into similar contracts with every other
buyer on an estate - but IANAL

So you need the Deeds to tell you what covenants might be attached to
your property.

Indeed you do :-(
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 25-09-2010, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/2010 22:32, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:46:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On 23 Sep, 13:13, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:45:13 +0100, Charlie Pridham

wrote:
In ,
says...
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

Without planning consent 2M but you can go above this with a bit of
trellis or plants, if you like your neighbours and they agree then there
is no reason to not put up a fence the height you want, but no one can
object to 2M if its on your land.

My daughter lives on a hill, her garden is about a metre above her neighbour's
garden. Is the 2 metres measured above her own garden or her neighbour's garden?
--

Martin

Neighbours.

Who says? The hedge is completely within her garden.

My deeds state that I must keep a stock proof fence all round the
property, also that I may not use the premises as a lunatic asylum
(sic). Many may ask what am I doing here then.

Old 25-09-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries on MacBook" wrote in message
o.uk...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...html/fence.stm

"However, most local council planning regulations only permit a
residential
fence to be erected to a maximum height of six feet. Check regulations
with your
local council."

That's what my hubby says too but it seems rather strange when an
evergreen hedge way over 10 feet is allowed but not a fence

I suppose a decorative type of trellis on top of a 6 ft fence would be OK
?

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

There is a school of thoght that prefers fence heights to be 1.5m . At this
height a miscreant in your garden can easily be seen from adjacent
properties. This height is recomended from the crime prevention perspective.

Bill

Old 25-09-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Aries on MacBook" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/09/2010 18:15, Christina Websell wrote:
Whilst I agree with this in principle, it does depend on how regulations
might have changed since the house was built.
My house was built in the 30's and there are some amazing things in the
deeds, like I am allowed to keep pigs but not be a tallow candler maker
or a
manure merchant by way of business.
Damn.;-)

LOL

Interestingly, should I decide to keep a pig or two, all the complaints of
any neighbours would not count. The council would support them, maybe,
but they have no power to prevent me at all.
It says in my deeds that I can keep pigs, so I can. If I want to. I
don't, but I could.

Tina

May you also march through you village with fixed bayonet?..:-)

Bill

Old 27-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered User

Location: I live in County Durham in the North of England.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries View Post
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--
VAL'S PAGE
The tallest legal height for a fence in the U.K. is six foot or 1.8 metres.

Hope this helps

Old 27-09-2010, 03:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Boyle View Post
The tallest legal height for a fence in the U.K. is six foot or 1.8 metres.

Hope this helps
We've already covered this one!

This is not the "tallest legal height" - it's just the height beyond which you have to apply for planning permission.
__________________
Old 27-09-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Boyle" wrote in message

The tallest legal height for a fence in the U.K. is six foot or 1.8
metres.

Hope this helps

Martin Boyle

Unfortunately no!
Could you reveal your source please Martin ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

[...]

No, I don't think so. My point was that it's important what your deeds say,
a previous poster said ignore them.
So, alas, I cannot be a tallow candle maker, but I can keep pigs. I might
just do that, I have plenty of room and I like pork and bacon.
The Council might not like it but they cannot touch me for it, my deeds say
I can do it;-)
Tina

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 03:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM