Old 22-09-2010, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fencing height

We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--
http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 22-09-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2010 17:18, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:10:13 +0100,
wrote:

We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...html/fence.stm

"However, most local council planning regulations only permit a residential
fence to be erected to a maximum height of six feet. Check regulations with your
local council."

That's what my hubby says too but it seems rather strange when an
evergreen hedge way over 10 feet is allowed but not a fence

I suppose a decorative type of trellis on top of a 6 ft fence would be OK ?

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 22-09-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aries" wrote in message
.. .
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of our
back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high fence
where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone tell me
what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden fence in
England ?

It varies according to whether it's next to a public highway or not.
Our local council allow 2 metres if around your back garden, half that if
next to a public highway. I'd contact your local planning dept in your
position, but there will probably be some online suggestions for loopholes
if you don't like their answer.

Tina

Old 22-09-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 22, 5:10*pm, aries
wrote:
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. *I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. *Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

T'would appear to be 6.5 ft

see:-

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2...ght_legal.html

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com
Old 22-09-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...html/fence.stm

"However, most local council planning regulations only permit a residential
fence to be erected to a maximum height of six feet. Check regulations with your
local council."

I'll find out more then from the council re the trellis - thanks Martin

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

Old 22-09-2010, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-22 17:10:13 +0100, aries
said:

We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

Look at the Deeds to your house, Val. Those or attached documents
sometimes give some indication of the restrictions to your property.
--

Whilst I agree with this in principle, it does depend on how regulations
might have changed since the house was built.

Tina

Old 22-09-2010, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2010 17:21, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of our
back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high fence
where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone tell me
what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden fence in
England ?

It varies according to whether it's next to a public highway or not.
Our local council allow 2 metres if around your back garden, half that if
next to a public highway. I'd contact your local planning dept in your
position, but there will probably be some online suggestions for loopholes
if you don't like their answer.

Tina

Thanks Tina

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 22-09-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2010 17:21, Pete wrote:
On Sep 22, 5:10 pm,
wrote:
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

T'would appear to be 6.5 ft

see:-

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2...ght_legal.html

Interesting, thanks Pete
--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 22-09-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-22 17:10:13 +0100, aries
said:

We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. Can
anyone tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a
garden fence in England ?

Look at the Deeds to your house, Val. Those or attached documents
sometimes give some indication of the restrictions to your property.

Thanks for the suggestion Sacha, but after having this discussion it
seems the best option would be for us to have the present hedge cut down
to arround 7 feet.

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

Old 22-09-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/09/2010 18:15, Christina Websell wrote:
Whilst I agree with this in principle, it does depend on how regulations
might have changed since the house was built.
My house was built in the 30's and there are some amazing things in the
deeds, like I am allowed to keep pigs but not be a tallow candler maker or a
manure merchant by way of business.
Damn.;-)

LOL

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 22-09-2010, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries on MacBook" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/09/2010 18:15, Christina Websell wrote:
Whilst I agree with this in principle, it does depend on how regulations
might have changed since the house was built.
My house was built in the 30's and there are some amazing things in the
deeds, like I am allowed to keep pigs but not be a tallow candler maker
or a
manure merchant by way of business.
Damn.;-)

LOL

Interestingly, should I decide to keep a pig or two, all the complaints of
any neighbours would not count. The council would support them, maybe, but
they have no power to prevent me at all.
It says in my deeds that I can keep pigs, so I can. If I want to. I don't,
but I could.

Tina

Old 22-09-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Sep, 17:10, aries wrote:
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. *I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. *Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

There is no legal limit but,
Between you and your neighbours it's 2m without planning permission.
Between you and a highway it's 1m without planning permission.
Within 2m of the highway it''s 1m without planning permission.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Sep, 17:10, aries wrote:
We have a very tall (over 10 feet) Leylandii hedge around two sides of
our back garden. *I hate it and would like to it replace with a high
fence where we could then grow fruit trees etc alongside it. *Can anyone
tell me what the tallest legal height is that one can have re a garden
fence in England ?

--http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

Forget about your deeds, irrelevent.
You can plant a hedge BTW and let it grow as high as you like subject
cutting light off from your neighbourd house.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:11 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
My understanding is that below 2m you do not have to apply for planning permission.

If you want to go higher than that, you will need planning permission (and perhaps building regs permission re foundations).

So you could ask and see what they'd be likely to approve. Nothing to lose if you're content to keep with a hedge if you don't like their answer.

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 03:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM