Old 04-10-2010, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrots

After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

Baz

Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Oct, 16:54, Baz wrote:
After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

Baz

I have found that not thinning carrots helps. Theory is that they are
attracted by the smell when you pull them up.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 04/10/2010 16:54, Baz wrote:
After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

Baz

I grew same varieties as you but didn't put up any barrier against
carrot fly. But no damage at all !!

Mind you I don't do any thinning during the year so maybe that helps. Or
maybe it was a bad year for carrot fly.

Ed

Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Oct, 16:54, Baz wrote:
After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

Baz

I've never had trouble with carrot fly, mainly because the slugs
usually get there first. However, this year I tried growing them
walled around in a box made of of four floorboards. My intention was
to put a perspex lid on it when the slugs discovered the seedlings.
But they never did, and for the first year in many I have a crop,
albeit rather short ones, presumably due to the dry weather and
despite my watering. The only "thinning out" I did was to move some
seedlings around to fill gaps.

Chris
Old 04-10-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...
After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our
fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

I have not found a barrier works much. Used to grow them surrounded by a
wooden box structure 2 scaffold boards high and that didn't stop them. Then
we grew in an old large water tank with sides nearly 3 ft above ground and
they still got the carrots. This year only one carrot has shown any sign of
root fly so I think it must have been something else that has done the job,
possibly last winter or the dry spring.
Welcome though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote ...
[...]

Very little carrot fly damage this year and I grew 3
varieties and thinned to 2 inches apart in early
Summer.
On each side of the carrots I grew onions, shallots and
leaks. First time I've tried 'companion planting' but I
agree with Bob, maybe hard Winter followed by dry
Spring.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2010 11:37, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote ...
[...]

I protected mine with fleece, so no carrot fly, however as I did not
thin them, so they are all twisted and deformed from being too close. So
how can I grow them without thinning, or if I do how do I stop the
dreaded carrot fly from attacking while I am thinning?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Oct, 17:42, Moonraker wrote:
On 05/10/2010 11:37, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote ...
[...]

Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire- Hide quoted text -

You are planting the seed too thickly. I always plant my carrot seed
on a bit of sand in the bottom of the drill. It improves drainage/
germination
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

I have not found a barrier works much. Used to grow them surrounded by
a wooden box structure 2 scaffold boards high and that didn't stop
them. Then we grew in an old large water tank with sides nearly 3 ft
above ground and they still got the carrots. This year only one carrot
has shown any sign of root fly so I think it must have been something
else that has done the job, possibly last winter or the dry spring.
Welcome though.

Looks like I have been celebrating success a bit premeturely if carrot fly
have had a bad year and nobody seems to have any damage.
Been battling the fly for a few years now and this year is my first
worthwhile harvest.

Baz
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 4, 12:53*pm, harry wrote:
On 4 Oct, 16:54, Baz wrote:

After so many years with carrot fly, and having read up about putting a
polythene barrier 2 feet high, we thought lets give it a try.
The resulting carrots have no evidence of fly damage AT ALL.
The varieties sown were Early Nantes and Autumn King, all sown at the same
time in a very cold day in March this year.
The earlies are only finger size, even now, but the Autumn King are so
good, we were pulling them well before the earlies.
If size matters, the AK's are huge and the earlies are now just right for
earlies ie: finger size.

All said, the barrier method has worked (this year) and we have our fingers
crossed for next year.

Anyone have similars?

Baz

I have found that not thinning carrots helps. *Theory is that they are
attracted by the smell when you pull them up.- Hide quoted text -

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM