Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments - committee question

If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

(Been looking at group consitutions and they all seem to be for big
sites with over 24 plots to have at least 9 members)

(And we're talking about a new potential site here!!!)
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mogga wrote:
If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

Why not a committee of the whole, with a quorum of 3?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

(Been looking at group consitutions and they all seem to be for big
sites with over 24 plots to have at least 9 members)

(And we're talking about a new potential site here!!!)

I think 3 but have a read of this:-

The number of members that constitutes a quorum differs depending on the
assembly and is usually provided for in that assembly's governing documents
(for example, its constitution, charter, or bylaws). The quorum may also be
set by law. A quorum may be a majority, some number greater than a
majority, or some number less than a majority. While a majority of members
is often the quorum for legislative bodies, often ordinary societies
(voluntary associations) will have a smaller quorum. Robert's Rules
provides that the quorum set in an organization's bylaws "should
approximate the largest number that can be depended on to attend any
meeting except in very bad weather or other extremely unfavorable
conditions."[1]
In the absence of such a provision in the bylaws of a society or assembly,
what constitutes a quorum differs. Robert's Rules provides that in such a
case, a quorum in an assembly "whose real membership can be accurately
determined at any time—that is, in a body having an enrolled membership
composed only of persons who maintain their status as members in a
prescribed manner—the quorum is a majority of the entire membership, by the
common parliamentary law."[1] In the meetings of a convention, unless
provided otherwise in the bylaws, a quorum is a majority of registered
delegates, even if some have departed. In a mass meeting, or "in a regular
or properly called meeting" of an organization whose bylaws do not
prescribe a quorum and whose membership is loosely determined, such as many
religious congregations or alumni associations, "there is no minimum number
of members who must be present for the valid transaction of business, or
—as it is usually expressed—the quorum consists of those who attend the
meeting."[3]
In a Committee of the Whole or its variants, a quorum is the same as the
assembly unless otherwise provide in the assembly's bylaws or rules. In all
other committees and boards, a quorum is a majority of the members of the
board or committee unless the bylaws, the rule of the parent organization,
or the motion establishing the particular committee provide otherwise.
According to Robert's Rules, "a board or committee does not have the power
to determine its quorum unless the bylaws so provide."[4]
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2010 12:19, mogga wrote:
If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

I'd be inclined to allow one representive on the committee for each plot
that wants to have one. You will have to have something like a chairman,
secretary and treasurer out of them. Quorate at 4 I suppose, but you
might want to think about that if there is a risk of cliques forcing
organic only growing, red painted sheds or some other passing fad.

A committee with more than 12 becomes unwieldly and wastes time and
allowing for peoples availability any less than 6 you have problems
finding volunteers to help do the general maintenance etc.

One seat per plot is pretty reasonable if there are nine plots - that
way no one need feel excluded. Is there a shed on site big enough?

(Been looking at group consitutions and they all seem to be for big
sites with over 24 plots to have at least 9 members)

(And we're talking about a new potential site here!!!)

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
mogga wrote:
If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

Why not a committee of the whole, with a quorum of 3?

I was going to say the same.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:24:36 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 12/10/2010 12:19, mogga wrote:
If a site had 9 plots how many committee members would you expect a
group to have, or to be quorum etc?

I'd be inclined to allow one representive on the committee for each plot
that wants to have one. You will have to have something like a chairman,
secretary and treasurer out of them. Quorate at 4 I suppose, but you
might want to think about that if there is a risk of cliques forcing
organic only growing, red painted sheds or some other passing fad.

A committee with more than 12 becomes unwieldly and wastes time and
allowing for peoples availability any less than 6 you have problems
finding volunteers to help do the general maintenance etc.

One seat per plot is pretty reasonable if there are nine plots - that
way no one need feel excluded. Is there a shed on site big enough?

It's an embrionic site at the moment - there but waiting for the magic
to happen...

I've looked up what the lottery require for funding bids as I thought
they'd have a minimum standard. It is quite minimal though.

All food for thought - to take to the meeting with me

ta all

Old 13-10-2010, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

--http://www.bra-and-pants.comhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

With that few of you I would make it One rep from each allotment and
require a majority of 5 for major decisions, that way you cant have a
couple of mates ganging up to get rid of someone.
Old 13-10-2010, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:00:15 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

With that few of you I would make it One rep from each allotment and
require a majority of 5 for major decisions, that way you cant have a
couple of mates ganging up to get rid of someone.

I've seen a copy of the self managed constitution which says 9 and 5
for quorum...