Old 25-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered User

Location: uk
Smile magnolia

Hi, could anyone advise me on which compost to buy for a felix jury magnolia? as im going to our local garden center to buy this . ive seen a compost (westwood) is this the best to buy or do you recomed somthing else.thankyou .
Old 25-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewillow View Post
Hi, could anyone advise me on which compost to buy for a felix jury magnolia? as im going to our local garden center to buy this . ive seen a compost (westwood) is this the best to buy or do you recomed somthing else.thankyou .
As you know, you want something that is a bit acid, but not hugely acid, but the plant isn't hugely fussy about it. So it makes sense to mix some normal potting compost with some ericaceous, some sharp sand, perhaps a bit of grit, and if you have some throw in some some perlite or vermiculite for good luck and improved texture. But if I only had normal compost to hand, well I'd use perlite (its more acid than vermiculite) and ericaceous fertiliser. And if I had some ericaceous to use up, well then I'd use vermiculite and normal fertiliser. But then I keep both of these in my shed as I use them regularly for potting.
Old 28-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Location: uk
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
As you know, you want something that is a bit acid, but not hugely acid, but the plant isn't hugely fussy about it. So it makes sense to mix some normal potting compost with some ericaceous, some sharp sand, perhaps a bit of grit, and if you have some throw in some some perlite or vermiculite for good luck and improved texture. But if I only had normal compost to hand, well I'd use perlite (its more acid than vermiculite) and ericaceous fertiliser. And if I had some ericaceous to use up, well then I'd use vermiculite and normal fertiliser. But then I keep both of these in my shed as I use them regularly for potting.
Thankyou for all your help with my many questions over the felix jury magnoila, i have now got the westland compost and im going to mix in some rhododendron soil also with a handfull mix round the pot some rhododendrone slow fertilizer.

small magnolia tree growing Lewis Spurlin Jr North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 02:20 PM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 06:56 PM
Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire John Moran United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM