Old 29-10-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default West facing wall. What veg to grow?

My son recently bought his first house and it has 3 gardens, front, rear
and side.
He wants to use the side garden (16m by 8m) for growing vegetables, but a
6' West facing wall is going to cast a shadow even in mid summer.

Any ideas what veg to grow next year next to this West facing wall?

At the moment all this area is lawned but we are digging it over this
weekend, weather permitting.

We are in North Lincolnshire in the UK if its any help.

Thanks
Baz

Old 31-10-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

My son recently bought his first house and it has 3 gardens, front,
rear and side.
He wants to use the side garden (16m by 8m) for growing vegetables,
but a 6' West facing wall is going to cast a shadow even in mid
summer.

Any ideas what veg to grow next year next to this West facing wall?

At the moment all this area is lawned but we are digging it over this
weekend, weather permitting.

We are in North Lincolnshire in the UK if its any help.

Thanks
Baz

To the poster who thought his posts were ignored,
I have put in this request about a West facing wall and no advice has been
given.

I take it therefore that nobody using this group has an answer. End Of.
Move on.

Baz
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
To the poster who thought his posts were ignored,
I have put in this request about a West facing wall and no advice has been
given.

I take it therefore that nobody using this group has an answer. End Of.
Move on.

Well looking on the web on Grow Your own there's a thread about growing
veg. In shade
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-can-i-grow-sh
ade_12675.html

I would think you might get away with quite a few veg especially stuff
like rhubarb and spinach.
There's a quote from
"growing veg in the shade"
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DM...t/vegshady.htm

with a list of stuff if that helps.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Baz
writes

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...at-can-i-grow-
sh ade_12675.html

I would think you might get away with quite a few veg especially stuff
like rhubarb and spinach.
There's a quote from
"growing veg in the shade"
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DM...t/vegshady.htm

with a list of stuff if that helps.

Thankyou very much for your reply, but although I wanted some assistance I
was also trying to point out to a poster who thought he was being ignored
that its not him or her, its just that nobody has the answers.

I grow rhubarb big time:-) and might go bigger! in that plot.(whatever son
says)

Its early in the year yet, and we were getting a bit too ahead of ourselves
I think.
We have jumped the gun and put in some broad beans and quite a few
goosegogs.

Baz
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
We have jumped the gun and put in some broad beans and quite a few
goosegogs.

Broad beans are fine and even early peas just look on the back of the
seed packet and you'll see when they recommend.
Now's the time to plant fruit trees of course (soil is still warm)

There's some very good varieties of Rhubarb especially any with
Champagne in the name.
Winter lettuce might be okay of you buy plants or even try sowing a late
variety in pots then planting outdoors.

Janet