Old 29-10-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default West facing wall. What veg to grow?

My son recently bought his first house and it has 3 gardens, front, rear
and side.
He wants to use the side garden (16m by 8m) for growing vegetables, but a
6' West facing wall is going to cast a shadow even in mid summer.

Any ideas what veg to grow next year next to this West facing wall?

At the moment all this area is lawned but we are digging it over this
weekend, weather permitting.

We are in North Lincolnshire in the UK if its any help.

Thanks
Baz

Old 31-10-2010, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

My son recently bought his first house and it has 3 gardens, front,
rear and side.
He wants to use the side garden (16m by 8m) for growing vegetables,
but a 6' West facing wall is going to cast a shadow even in mid
summer.

Any ideas what veg to grow next year next to this West facing wall?

At the moment all this area is lawned but we are digging it over this
weekend, weather permitting.

We are in North Lincolnshire in the UK if its any help.

Thanks
Baz

To the poster who thought his posts were ignored,
I have put in this request about a West facing wall and no advice has been
given.

I take it therefore that nobody using this group has an answer. End Of.
Move on.

Baz
Old 31-10-2010, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not quite what you meant by vegetables, perhaps, but Loganberries and
Tayberries can take a fair amount of shade, and won't take-up a lt of
space if grown against the wall, or over it.

Courgettes ought to do quite well, but to ripen the larger cucurbits
(and cucumbers) I'd guess you need more sun. Spinach or spinach beet
should be OK.

--
Rusty
Old 31-10-2010, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2010 20:19, Rusty Hinge wrote:
Not quite what you meant by vegetables, perhaps, but Loganberries and
Tayberries can take a fair amount of shade, and won't take-up a lt of
space if grown against the wall, or over it.

ditto for gooseberries

Courgettes ought to do quite well, but to ripen the larger cucurbits
(and cucumbers) I'd guess you need more sun. Spinach or spinach beet
should be OK.

Lettuce will be fine. Carrots probably not.

It is not quite clear what side of the house this is on. Is the house
itself casting no shadow ?

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

--------- I grow a number of plants, not veg 'tis true, in an open
aspect with no direct sun.
Some plants prefer it and in a hot summer peas certainly would, indeed
I usually plant our peas behind our Runner Beans to give them shade
and try to keep them cooler, Broad Beans may do well too.
My comment about a sunny year was my attempt at humour, sorry. :-(
I agree, try things as suggest above and see but I still think the sun
lovers may not grow.

Bob, your humour went over my head, I was digging the plot with my son all
weekend and got myself a bad back trying to keep up with him. Took me ages
to get out of bed this morning so I have stayed at home today.

I dont think I understand the term 'open aspect'. I took it to literally
mean open with no shade and full sun.

We have sown a packet(50 seeds) of Aquadulce Claudia in some of this shaded
area and we will see what happens.

Rusty Hinge and Paul Luton have responded to my enquiery and suggest fruit
bushes and it might be a good thing to plant so we wont have to worry about
crop rotation in that portion of the garden. We intend to plant some in the
garden anyway so this may be the place. It never occured to me!
If I can buy a few to plant now or soon(gooseberries eg this will start
the plot off nicely.

Things are comming into place in my mind now and am thankful for everyones
advice and suggestions.

Baz

Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote in news:iakfcv$9n5$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Not quite what you meant by vegetables, perhaps, but Loganberries and
Tayberries can take a fair amount of shade, and won't take-up a lt of
space if grown against the wall, or over it.

Thanks RH,

Something we had not thought of, and we are going to plant some fruit
bushes anyway so this might be the ideal spot.

Baz
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

Bob, your humour went over my head, I was digging the plot with my son all
weekend and got myself a bad back trying to keep up with him. Took me ages
to get out of bed this morning so I have stayed at home today.

You should try something lighter - a spade is favourite, and in any
case, sons can be sods to wash thoroughly after use.

I dont think I understand the term 'open aspect'. I took it to literally
mean open with no shade and full sun.

We have sown a packet(50 seeds) of Aquadulce Claudia in some of this shaded
area and we will see what happens.

Rusty Hinge and Paul Luton have responded to my enquiery and suggest fruit
bushes and it might be a good thing to plant so we wont have to worry about
crop rotation in that portion of the garden. We intend to plant some in the
garden anyway so this may be the place. It never occured to me!
If I can buy a few to plant now or soon(gooseberries eg this will start
the plot off nicely.

Gooseberries, being a hedgerow undergrowth shrub originally, will
tolerate a lot of shade. Some sun is an advantage though.

You could plant any number of bulbs - useful ones like ramsons. Some
wild anemones and winter aconites (poisonous!) like shade.

Things are comming into place in my mind now and am thankful for everyones
advice and suggestions.

There! You have to give people time to think before feeling rejected innit.

--
Rusty
Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
Paul Luton wrote in news:4amdnTz9MeP-
:

ditto for gooseberries

It is not quite clear what side of the house this is on. Is the house
itself casting no shadow ?

No, the house does not cast a shadow on the plot. The only shadow is from
the wall. Other than that the plot is in full sun.

In the shaded area we are going to try some fruit bushes from
recommendations here which we were going to plant anyway but in a different
place.

Today I bought blackcurrant 2 of,

Need a fair amount of sun

gooseberry 6 of,

Fine

blackberry one of

Also needs sun, but you can train that. Pity you didn't mention it
earlier - I could have provided you with any number of rooted canes -
Hoooooge juicy fruit, and canes nearly as thick as your wrist. Thorns
like tigers' claws thobut...

and a
kiwi fruit 'jenny'. (all for less than £20).

I hope Jenny is self-fertile - your normal Chinese gooseberry needs a
male and a female vine. I've three self-fertile varieties. Grow it
slightly over head-height and then train it laterally. You pick the
fruit from underneath. If you're thinking of trekkises, arches &c, a
nice feature is a path, with a roof of Chinese gooseberry vines
covering/shading it.

For £20 its worth a gamble I think. But its not the money, its that a year
is a long time to wait to see if what we are doing actually works for us.

Don't expect Jenny to provide any fruit for three years or so.

Wait and see eh?

Best not to try to do everything at once...

--
Rusty
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
To the poster who thought his posts were ignored,
I have put in this request about a West facing wall and no advice has been
given.

I take it therefore that nobody using this group has an answer. End Of.
Move on.

Well looking on the web on Grow Your own there's a thread about growing
veg. In shade
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-can-i-grow-sh
ade_12675.html

I would think you might get away with quite a few veg especially stuff
like rhubarb and spinach.
There's a quote from
"growing veg in the shade"
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DM...t/vegshady.htm

with a list of stuff if that helps.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Baz
writes

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...at-can-i-grow-
sh ade_12675.html

I would think you might get away with quite a few veg especially stuff
like rhubarb and spinach.
There's a quote from
"growing veg in the shade"
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DM...t/vegshady.htm

with a list of stuff if that helps.

Thankyou very much for your reply, but although I wanted some assistance I
was also trying to point out to a poster who thought he was being ignored
that its not him or her, its just that nobody has the answers.

I grow rhubarb big time:-) and might go bigger! in that plot.(whatever son
says)

Its early in the year yet, and we were getting a bit too ahead of ourselves
I think.
We have jumped the gun and put in some broad beans and quite a few
goosegogs.

Baz
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

[...]

Thanyou for your advice and suggestions.

If you had read all of this thread you would possibly have noticed that I
was not being, or feeling rejected.

You have a habit with two feet, as I sometimes have.

Baz
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

If you had read all of this thread you would possibly have noticed that I
was not being, or feeling rejected.

I did, but your initialquestion needed some consideration.

You have a habit with two feet, as I sometimes have.

/quote/

To the poster who thought his posts were ignored,
I have put in this request about a West facing wall and no advice has been
given.

I take it therefore that nobody using this group has an answer. End Of.
Move on.

/unquote/

--
Rusty
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
[...]

You have a habit with two feet, as I sometimes have.

Good job they hadn't invented those in 1940: the German paratroopers
wouldn't even have /needed/ to shave their legs.

--
Mike.