Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default Visiting to the door

Because of the covering of snow, I have brought food to under the patio
(Picture 5, taken from the computer shows the slabs concerned)
http://www.myalbum.com/Album-4X3JO4J...-of-Other.html

Within a period of 5 minutes I had a Long Tailed Tit, Robin, Chaffinch,
Sparrow, Blackbird, Starling and a Pigeon. All within about 10 feet from
where I am sitting :-))

Think of the birds and don't forget the water. It seems that no one else is
around here :-(

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Because of the covering of snow, I have brought food to under the patio
(Picture 5, taken from the computer shows the slabs concerned)
http://www.myalbum.com/Album-4X3JO4J...-of-Other.html

Within a period of 5 minutes I had a Long Tailed Tit, Robin, Chaffinch,
Sparrow, Blackbird, Starling and a Pigeon. All within about 10 feet from
where I am sitting :-))

Think of the birds and don't forget the water. It seems that no one else
is around here :-(

Interesting point about water.

I would have thought that they were able to secure moisture from nature at
this time of year.

I accept that assistance in long periods of heat and drought, a help would
be welcome.

The canal and my bird baths are all froze solid but everyone seems to be
enjoying the seed and nuts
without my help with water.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:03:25 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:
It seems that no one else is
around here :-(

Mike

Don't be fooled. You are in everybody's kill file.

Not everybodies !
Pete

Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote:
It seems that no one else is
around here :-(

Mike

Don't be fooled. You are in everybody's kill file.

Not everybody's I see. :-))

I trust you are one of my Hero Worshippers as well :-))

I have quite a few who 'say' they have kill filed me, but somehow or other
just cannot tear themselves away from my words of wisdom. Such as your good
self :-))))

Thank you SO much for your support and following :-))

Very best wishes

Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Pete" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

Yes there is plenty of moisture, but the birds have got used to the water
being in the garden all the time.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Pete wrote:
I would have thought that they were able to secure moisture from
nature at this time of year.

No it's frozen! ;-)

They like to bathe in my bird-bath to which I add warm water often enough to
make sure it doesn't freeze (again!)...

Mike.
--
If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
where needed.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Pete wrote:
Think of the birds and don't forget the water. It seems that no one else
is around here :-(

Interesting point about water.

I would have thought that they were able to secure moisture from nature at
this time of year.

My poor chickens have found themselves with only solid water several times
in the past few days.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote in message
In uk.rec.gardening Pete wrote:
Think of the birds and don't forget the water. It seems that no one else
is around here :-(

Interesting point about water.

I would have thought that they were able to secure moisture from nature
at
this time of year.

My poor chickens have found themselves with only solid water several times
in the past few days.

Please tell them I am sorry to hear of their plight.

Alan

Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

alan.holmes wrote:
Except your's!

I spy a greengrocer! ;-)

Mike.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete[_9_] View Post

Interesting point about water.

I would have thought that they were able to secure moisture from nature at
this time of year.
Apparently they need to wash their feathers to get out the dirt and increase the insulation properties.
__________________
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Pete wrote:

The canal and my bird baths are all froze solid but everyone seems to be
enjoying the seed and nuts
without my help with water.

Even the birds too.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
o.uk...

The canal and my bird baths are all froze solid but everyone seems to be
enjoying the seed and nuts
without my help with water.

Even the birds too.

This could warm up the proceedings !

http://vimeo.com/14638500

Pete

Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Because of the covering of snow, I have brought food to under the patio
(Picture 5, taken from the computer shows the slabs concerned)
http://www.myalbum.com/Album-4X3JO4J...-of-Other.html

Within a period of 5 minutes I had a Long Tailed Tit, Robin, Chaffinch,
Sparrow, Blackbird, Starling and a Pigeon. All within about 10 feet from
where I am sitting :-))

Think of the birds and don't forget the water. It seems that no one else
is around here :-(

Mike

--

Have you provided for your birds today?

Broken the ice on the large bath and poured a kettle of boiling water in
about an hour ago. Just had a flock of Sparrows in there having a bath,
along with a lone Starling trying to get in on the act.

Had the usual Long Tailed Tit and Robin doing their territory thing, a Blue
Tit decided to look in the Tit Box again, Pigeons, Chaffinch etc etc etc.

All within about 10 feet of me sitting here in the warm :-))

On the road situation, just helped a neighbour get his van out of a dreadful
situation. Sheet ice and a slight camber meant that he was going nowhere and
blocking a junction. However with the help of a spade and another neighbour,
he is now on his way!! As I proved over the last couple of years, when in
trouble, you find out who your friends and neighbours are :-)))))))
.................... Don't you????

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
Broken the ice on the large bath and poured a kettle of boiling water
in about an hour ago. Just had a flock of Sparrows in there having a
bath, along with a lone Starling trying to get in on the act.

Good grief; that sounds dangerous! I hope you had the usual
health-and-safety notices up saying "Very hot water"... ;-)

Or are your birds used to the full Jacuzzi thing?

Had the usual Long Tailed Tit and Robin doing their territory thing,
a Blue Tit decided to look in the Tit Box again, Pigeons, Chaffinch
etc etc etc.

I wouldn't expect LTTs to be territorial; they are famous for travelling in
happy parties outside the breeding season. But in my garden one or two of
the BT party also sometimes break out of their usual frantic feeding melee
to check up on the nest box. I wish I knew whether they are the same pair
that failed to get any of their brood fledged in that box back in the
spring.

Mike.