Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default best plants for bees and insects in two large containers?

Hi, my only outside space is a terrace but I'd like to do what I can for
the local bees and insects.

The weather on the terrace is mild (London) but crazily windy,
especially in winter.

I have two troughs, each 150cm long, 50cm wide and 40 cm high.

Can anyone recommend plants for bees and insects (we get butterflies
too) please, and what time of the year I should plant them?

Ideally perennials for minimum effort and, if possible a place to buy or
order them from please - I'm told the ones in B&Q etc are so intensively
farmed they are short on nectar and pollen (any confirmation of this
would be good).

Any help appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Craven.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Eupatorium are wonderful for bees etc. but I have no idea how they fare
in troughs. I think they might be too big for growing in those
conditions.

The scrophularia was covered in bees last year, not brilliantly
attractive but obviously an insect attractant
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes
Eupatorium are wonderful for bees etc. but I have no idea how they fare
in troughs. I think they might be too big for growing in those
conditions.

The scrophularia was covered in bees last year, not brilliantly
attractive but obviously an insect attractant

Try rosemary, hyssop, savory, marjoram and thyme, as well. Useful,
decorative, and popular with bees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/01/2011 17:03, Craven wrote:
Hi, my only outside space is a terrace but I'd like to do what I can for
the local bees and insects.

The weather on the terrace is mild (London) but crazily windy,
especially in winter.

I have two troughs, each 150cm long, 50cm wide and 40 cm high.

Can anyone recommend plants for bees and insects (we get butterflies
too) please, and what time of the year I should plant them?

Ideally perennials for minimum effort and, if possible a place to buy or
order them from please - I'm told the ones in B&Q etc are so intensively
farmed they are short on nectar and pollen (any confirmation of this
would be good).

Any help appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Craven.

Some protection against the wind would help both your plants and the
foraging insects. Remember a shallow bowl to offer *fresh* water. Also
many insects, esp. some butterflies, love fruit. Perhaps a shallow bowl
with sliced/chopped fruit in it would be good.

For plants in that situation, try primroses, erysimum, pot margold
(calendula sp.), dwarf Scabious, lavender, marjoram, sedum, alliums.
Most daisies are good, but stick to simple flowers rather than doubles.
Buddleia is good, but generally too big for your situation. However,
there are a few dwarf forms being bred, so look out for the Buzz series.
You could also try Limnanthes (Poached Egg Plant) which is good for
insects.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London