Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
chantelle's Avatar
Registered User

Exclamation Advice for a Dracaena Massangeana

Hi,

I bought a Dracaena Massangeana on Sunday from a garden centre and I don't really know that much about it as there was no one around to ask! I have read a bit on the internet but there are still some questions I need to ask -

Is there a specific amount of water it needs? how often? and does it need to be a specific temperature?

Does it need spraying?

I have got it in a room at the moment which is cool when the heating is off but can be very warm at night when the heating is on. I can't advise the temperature yet as I don't have a thermometer. Does this sound ok or will it need to go somewhere where the temperature is constantly steady?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice for a Dracaena Massangeana

g'day chantelle,

they grow easily in sub-tropicl conditions, in the garden needing
little care or watering once settled in they take it wet or dry

here is an extract i found:

The temperature requirements for Dracaena marginata is a comfortable
75 degrees and the water requirements are low. Dracaenas are one of
the plants used in the NASA Clean Air Study and has shown to help
remove Formaldehyde.

http://www.dracaena.com/dracaena-mar...d-dracaena.php

if you plant to keep it as indoor plant, it will need good light but
not direct sun through glass so in winter with drapes drawn this could
be an issue maybe a grow light might be needed? to help control bugs a
humid atmosphere is good this might mean where you have heating having
either fish tanks near by or buckets of water, so some misting of the
foliage maybe a couple times a week and on occassion have some
soluable fertiliser in the mist bottle. another way of increasing
humidity stand pot in deep enough tray filled with coloured stones and
keep this topped up under the stones lay some of that charcoal from
the aquarium shop to stop water stagnating.

don't wipe leaves with clear white oil solution this can block the
action of the leaves if they get dusty use a very mild detergent water
mix to wipe off the leaves.

if you plan it for the garden it may need a sunny southerly position
we grow them in full sun here.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 19:25:59 +0000, chantelle
wrote:

Dracaena Massangeana

--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And