Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea cuttings

Has anyone successfully rooted Hydrangea cutting taken at this time of
the year?

I have a semi-double H. macrophylla (label lost, but a Japanese name)
which has never struck from cuttings taken in July, August, or
September. As the buds on it are just starting to break, I wondered if
cuttings taken now might have some success.

--

Jeff
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 11, 4:04*pm, Jeff Layman wrote:
Has anyone successfully rooted Hydrangea cutting taken at this time of
the year?

I have a semi-double H. macrophylla (label lost, but a Japanese name)
which has never struck from cuttings taken in July, August, or
September. *As the buds on it are just starting to break, I wondered if
cuttings taken now might have some success.

--

Jeff

I took some three years ago in November. Three out of ten rooted and
have grown nicely. I know that is not January but it has to be worth
a try; you've nothing to lose except a few sticks
..
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 12, 1:26*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
. I

have no trouble propagating my mopheads, but how do you get them to
flower every year? Mine go beserk for one summer, then take a year off
before flowering again the following year. Is that normal?
Also, I need to keep them under control in a small garden.

*Hydrangeas make their flower buds a year in advance. To have flowers
every year, you have to always retain some of last years growth.
Probably you have inadvertently pruned off next years flower buds in an
attempt to keep the plant small.

* GC's often sell compact pots of mopheads in full flower on short
stems. *To produce that very saleable appeal they were grown under very
artificial conditions, probably with hormone growth restrictions.
Huge flowers on a small potted plant in a GC, are a bit like huge feet
on a *puppy...

* * Janet.

If I spread bone meal around anything here then it would be destroyed
in a night or two by foxes looking for the food they could smell.
Last night we had a fox calling just outside the back door, I was
waiting for it to stick its head through the cat flap
David
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Everyone seems to have a favourite time and way of handling this. But in
general, cut back, under the dead flower heads, to the first strong,
healthy leaf buds each year in March if the danger of heavy frost has
passed. Take out any thin, weedy and crossing stems. Some people say
that if you prune all of the stems back you're likely to end up with no
flowers, so they cut back one third each year. I can't say I've ever
noticed that as a problem, so it's possible that depends to some extent
on climate and when your plants get going each year! OTOH, if you're
renovating old plants that have got weedy and out of control, risk
sacrificing the next flowering and cut them hard back to the base leaf
buds to encourage new, strong growth. Quite a few people leave the dead
heads on them to protect them from winter frosts, snipping these off
when they do the spring prune and tidy up. You could also give them some
bonemeal round the roots and fork it in lightly, taking care not to
damage the roots.

Many thanks for the detailed explanation.

The one that was in full bloom last year has no new shoots as yet, and
no signs of life under the old heads. The one that was mostly foliage
last year now has new shoots all the way down the stems. As one was a
cutting from the other, I thought they would behave in the same way.
From what you say, I had better wait until March and review the
situation then.

Hydrangea cuttings Steve[_15_] United Kingdom 4 11-07-2007 12:30 AM
Hydrangea Cuttings Luke Australia 4 21-03-2007 01:43 AM
What to do with hydrangea cuttings? Frank Logullo Gardening 0 15-09-2004 04:37 PM
Wanted: Trade Hydrangea Cuttings stonewriter North Carolina 0 13-05-2004 10:07 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM