Old 18-01-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drainage

Question.

Land near a pond is getting waterlogged with all this rain. It has to be
land drained. Does one put the land drains in level with the water surface,
or the bottom of the pond.

Considerations.

The pond does NOT have a liner.
It is in a 'sump' area so therefore must expect excess water.
The overflow from this pond feeds the 'Village Pond'

My gut feeling is that if the drains are put at the level of the bottom of
the pond, the pond will drain:-((

If installed at the level of the water, they won't be very deep.

Comments please

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 18-01-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day mike,

sounds to me like the ponds may be natural ponds in which case they
can be affected by water table, naturally the water table comes up to
its highest point with lots of rain.

so if you put an agricultural type drain in (you need to have
somewhere to flow that water to or another issue could be created in
another place with excess water).

if so then for me it would appear that you would have some control of
that sodden soils if you created a ditchwith flow to draw that surface
water away, which again need to go somewhere.

or if it is possible raise the level of that sodden ground by adding
more soil whatever, as you are there you need to be sure then that any
action you take does not cause issues in other places.

in all you will need some place to drain teh water to ie.,. gulley
creek whatever.

anyhow take a look at our ag' drain presentation, there may be some
help there.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/tipson.htm

keep us informed or updated

it all takes carefull site observation.

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 18-01-2011, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 18, 4:59*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
Question.

Land near a pond is getting waterlogged with all this rain. It has to be
land drained. Does one put the land drains in level with the water surface,
or the bottom of the pond.

Considerations.

The pond does NOT have a liner.
It is in a 'sump' area so therefore must expect excess water.
The overflow from this pond feeds the 'Village Pond'

My gut feeling is that if the drains are put at the level of the bottom of
the pond, the pond will drain:-((

If installed at the level of the water, they won't be very deep.

Comments please

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

You are lucky to have a natural pond. Convert the area surround into a
bog garden. I have a non-natural pond constructed at vast expense.