Old 29-01-2011, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ID

Can anyone identify this plant?

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/plant/

Purchased last spring as a trailing plant suitable for a hanging basket.
During the summer it just put on a lot of foliage. Last Autumn, as it
was still green and thriving when the rest of the plants in the hanging
basket were long past their best I just left it. It has remained green
all Winter and has had lots of yellow/white flowers. It has survived
being encased in sheet ice (snow melt from the roof re-freezing during
the nights) Although it is also now past its best as a result of
buffeting from strong winds rather than the cold weather it is still
flowering. Total size of the one plant = 4 times the size of the 18”
basket. Photograph taken today (29 Jan 2011)

--
Alan

Old 29-01-2011, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:29:36 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:29*pm, Alan wrote:
Can anyone identify this plant?

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/plant/

Purchased last spring as a trailing plant suitable for a hanging basket.
During the summer it just put on a lot of foliage. Last Autumn, as it
was still green and thriving when the rest of the plants in the hanging
basket were long past their best I just left it. It has remained green
all Winter and has had lots of yellow/white flowers. It has survived
being encased in sheet ice (snow melt from the roof re-freezing during
the nights) Although it is also now past its best as a result of
buffeting from strong winds *rather than the cold weather it is still
flowering. Total size of the one plant = 4 times the size of the 18
basket. Photograph taken today (29 Jan 2011)

--
Alan

Antirrhinum

Alan may have heard the English name: snapdragon. I was amazed to read
how hardy they we glaciated, and in a hanging basket to boot.

--
Mike.
Old 29-01-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:29*pm, Alan wrote:
[...]

Going back a few years, I had one plant that reliably came up each
year and got bigger and bigger until it eventually snuffed it a few
years ago. Swotting up, it seems that auntie rhinums are relatively
hardy perennial plants and often they will return if you leave them in
situ. I've heard that there is now a scented variety around though
haven't been able to track it down yet. Anyone able to point me in the
right direction?
Old 29-01-2011, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Lyle
wrote
wrote:

Antirrhinum

Alan may have heard the English name: snapdragon. I was amazed to read
how hardy they we glaciated, and in a hanging basket to boot.

These have been outdoors and have been flowering all over the winter
period, and are still flowering. The literature seems to suggest that
Antirrhinums bloom until the first frost.

The location is in an exposed front porch (fully open to the elements)
and with a 5W fluorescent light above and on 24/7.
--
Alan