Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default when yoiu see a post that starts "Re"

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

I wish it was that simple. Quite often I see "Re", and all it means is that
the OP just didn't show up on my screen, for reasons known only to my news
server.

Steve

Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

I wish it was that simple. Quite often I see "Re", and all it means is
that the OP just didn't show up on my screen, for reasons known only to my
news server.
Steve

My newserver shows everything that I allow. I there is a re it's a reply to
someone I have killfiled.
I rarely killfile, have to be nasty bad for that.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?
Quick scan through authors of entire thread. If it's taken on a life of its own, read it, if there's lots of OP posts studded through it, ignore it.

Depends, really, just how irritating you find the OP. If you don't kill many, I guess the answer is, pretty irritating!
__________________
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:21:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

Please treat the message as any other message on this or any other
forum.
'Re' is appended to all replies to any message by certain news reader
software.
My own gives me a choice of a number of ways to show its a reply
rather than starting a new topic.

Derek
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:21:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"
gently dipped his quill in the
best Quink that money could buy:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

I get quite a few Re's and I have not killfiled anyone.

I think it is the News server not sending the while thread.

Mike P the 1st
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

The Re also appears if the thread was started in another NG and
someone has added the URG address to crosspost it.
There might be a genuine reason for that but often its a way of
spreading spam or offensive content.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

Please treat the message as any other message on this or any other
forum.
'Re' is appended to all replies to any message by certain news reader
software.
My own gives me a choice of a number of ways to show its a reply
rather than starting a new topic.

Derek
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

I use Agent. Every message in a thread starts with
It seems logical to me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

The "re" is just indicating that it's not the first post in the thread.
But I think what Tina is asking is:

There is a thread started by someone she has killfiled. She doesn't want to read that person's posts, or any parts of his/her posts that have been quoted by people who have responded. On the other hand, the later posts in the thread could well be interesting. So does she read the post, and risk seeing obnoxious posts from the person she has killfilled? Or does she skip it, and miss out on what could have been an interesting post?
__________________
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

The Re also appears if the thread was started in another NG and
someone has added the URG address to crosspost it.
There might be a genuine reason for that but often its a way of
spreading spam or offensive content.

I think the Re, refers to a reference to the original message
posted, when you reply to a previous message it is always then
shown as a Re.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in :

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

The Re also appears if the thread was started in another NG and
someone has added the URG address to crosspost it.
There might be a genuine reason for that but often its a way of
spreading spam or offensive content.

I think the Re, refers to a reference to the original message
posted, when you reply to a previous message it is always then
shown as a Re.

Stephen.

I think there must be hundreds of reasons for this.
When I first used NG my client was Outlook Express and it could never make
up its mind, ie. or not to , so fickle and it was most likely my
fault with the settings, but I could not solve the problem so I bought
Agent, don't know which version but it solved the problem to a certain
level. Not perfect though, and again most likely my fault. there was a
setting 'start new thread always' something similar, and that may be the
cause.
Going a few years with it, I found lots of annoying little things that made
me change to XNews, free, simple to use and have never seen a (Re after a
follow up.

The OP said,

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

If that poster is killfiltered(plonked) then that poster would be
invisible, and would not be readable to the person who has filtered.
In other words the bugger is not plonked if you can read their posts.

Best wishes to all (plonked or not)
Baz
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

The OP said,

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

If that poster is killfiltered(plonked) then that poster would be
invisible, and would not be readable to the person who has filtered.
In other words the bugger is not plonked if you can read their posts.
You can't read the post of the OP if you have kfed them, but depending on newsreader, you can read the posts of people who haven't got them kfed and have replied to them, and if they have quoted the OP in their replies, you will be able to see the bits of the OP's post which have been quoted.
__________________
Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

Fix your filters?

My filters are fine. If others would do that

Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

The Re also appears if the thread was started in another NG and
someone has added the URG address to crosspost it.
There might be a genuine reason for that but often its a way of
spreading spam or offensive content.

I think the Re, refers to a reference to the original message
posted, when you reply to a previous message it is always then
shown as a Re.

Yes, I know that, what I am talking about is a post that starts "RE" which
is a different thing entirely.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

wrote in message

wrote:

What to do?
You know you have the OP killfiled.
Read it or not?

The Re also appears if the thread was started in another NG and
someone has added the URG address to crosspost it.
There might be a genuine reason for that but often its a way of
spreading spam or offensive content.

I think the Re, refers to a reference to the original message
posted, when you reply to a previous message it is always then
shown as a Re.

Yes, I know that, what I am talking about is a post that starts "RE" which
is a different thing entirely.

Your losing me here Christina :-)

As Steve says a posts tarts with 're' because it is a reply, as opposed
to the original message in a thread.

I think what you are really talking about is why you see the thread
title (when a thread is collapsed) starting with 'Re'.

I suspect this is in part down to the newsreader software. In my
software (Turnpike). I see 'Re' in the collapsed thread title if the
original message is not on my machine for some reason - either it has
expired and been deleted from my machine, or the thread has been
crossposted over from another group I don't subscribe to at some point.

If it is a thread that starts with a poster who I have killfiled, then
the thread is displayed with a lighter weight of typeface. so it gives
me an indication as to whether I want to bother reading it or not. If i
expand the thread I can still see that there is a post from 'X'. It's
quite likely other software does things differently.

As to your original question? Well do what you want :-)

I sometimes read a thread started by a killfiled person if the title
sounds interesting enough , or by accident sometimes. I may even
occasionally request a post that is killed if it seems
interesting/sensible or whatever enough .

Your choice :-)
--
Chris French