Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose cane "false starts"

I inherited a number of roses with this garden, some of which were rather
poorly. They're now doing much better, but I've noticed a number of times
now that a new cane will appear to start "budding" off the base or low down,
but then just stops and shrivels away after growing only a few millimetres.
I'm just wondering what might cause this. Do they need feeding more, or
might it be insufficient water, or something? It's annoying when I think I'm
getting a new break from the base, then it just goes nowhere. The bushes are
much healthier than they were, if not spectacular. Lots of leaves now and no
black spot. One of them which has just done this had a very nice bloom on
it, which seemed healthy, for instance.

Any ideas, anyone?

Ian

Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Ian,

Before i give you an answer could i pry a little further?

What are you feeding them at the moment and how frequently?

Also what is the soil like? Clay, Sand etc?

Last one .. How long have they been planted there?

cheers

Dan
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Symbio Symbio wrote:
Hi Ian,

Before i give you an answer could i pry a little further?

What are you feeding them at the moment and how frequently?

Also what is the soil like? Clay, Sand etc?

Last one .. How long have they been planted there?

I'm not sure how old they were as they were here when I got here 3 years
ago. The soil is a rather dismal sort of dirty sand. I feed them with Bayer
Toprose, as per the instructions but a bit more frequently.

Ian

Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 10:36*am, "Ian B" wrote:
Symbio Symbio wrote:
Hi Ian,

Before i give you an answer could i pry a little further?

What are you feeding them at the moment and how frequently?

Also what is the soil like? Clay, Sand etc?

Last one .. How long have they been planted there?

I'm not sure how old they were as they were here when I got here 3 years
ago. The soil is a rather dismal sort of dirty sand. I feed them with Bayer
Toprose, as per the instructions but a bit more frequently.

Ian

All sorts of reasons for this a fairly common one but usually at a
more advanced state of growth is that the growing tip gets nipped out
by a feeding tortrix moth caterpillar. You need to look very carefully
for the culprit because they often run backwards and drop to the
ground at the least disturbance. However definitive evidence is that
the tiny dead bit comes off in your hand and the green bit on the end
of the remaining shoot looks as if it's been cut neatly and slightly
hollow - you'll probably need your reading specs to see this. The
drought probably isn't helping either - the caterpillars can't find
enough to eat, when growth is more abundant the moths have more places
to lay and the problem isn't much noticed.

Rod

Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:36 am, "Ian B" wrote:
Symbio Symbio wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rod, I don't know what I could do to stop that short of a 24 hour
vigil

Not sure what state of growth would count as "more advanced". This seems to
be happening when they're really just starting to grow.

Ian