Old 27-02-2011, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clover - lots of it growing in my containers

Hi all,

I only have a patio so all my gardening is in containers with compost
bought from the likes of B&Q.

I'm getting this strange thing were some of my pots (but not all) are
getting over-run with mostly green but sometimes dark purple clover (or
something similar).

Is there anything I can do to stop this please without damaging my
plants? I've tried putting small stones around the larger plants but it
grows through it. If I pick it out, it just re-grows.

Or should I just accept it... :-)

Thanks a lot!

Old 28-02-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:33:30 +0000, Craven wrote:

Hi all,

I only have a patio so all my gardening is in containers with compost
bought from the likes of B&Q.

I'm getting this strange thing were some of my pots (but not all) are
getting over-run with mostly green but sometimes dark purple clover (or
something similar).

Is there anything I can do to stop this please without damaging my
plants? I've tried putting small stones around the larger plants but it
grows through it. If I pick it out, it just re-grows.

Or should I just accept it... :-)

I think you'll have to accept it. I agree with Janet, it's oxalis.
It spreads in 2 ways. One by its creeping roots which you can
carefully pull out, but its seed pods explode and spread the plant
everywhere. You only need one to start the invasion!
I've had the bronze-leafed one for over 45 years and the green one
almost as long. They moved house with me! In the gravel I can
controll it with weedkiller, but you will just have to be diligent in
removing it from your pots.
I've just learned to live with it.

Pam in Bristol