Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trimming shallot tips prior to planting?

Today on TV I saw someone trimming the tips of shallots prior to
planting them. Does anyone else do this? Is it a good thing to do?
I assume he was doing it to help the new growth push through the tips
which were maybe a bit dry and tough for new growth to penetrate?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 10, 6:44*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Today on TV I saw someone trimming the tips of shallots prior to
planting them. Does anyone else do this? Is it a good thing to do?
I assume he was doing it to help the new growth push through the tips
which were maybe a bit dry and tough for new growth to penetrate?

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

The idea of triming off the dry top of shallots and onion sets was to
stop the birds pulling them out of the ground after planting.
Not helped if you push them into the soil then the roots push against
the soil you firmed in pushing them in and lift themselves out a bit.
Always "plant" them and get them in at least 3/4 0f their depth intro
the soil.