Old 16-03-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poultry Pellets

I have never used Poultry Pellets before, and was wondering if there
would be any benefit of breaking the pellets down , lightly crushing
them?. I am going to use them as a slow release feed for pot plants.

And have discovered they stink!
Old 16-03-2011, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 16, 7:46*pm, Derek wrote:
I have never used Poultry Pellets before, and was wondering if there
would be any benefit of breaking the pellets down , lightly crushing
them?. I am going to use them as a slow release feed for pot plants.

And have discovered they stink!

Poultry pellets?
Are these like Turkey Nuggets?
Old 16-03-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote

I have never used Poultry Pellets before, and was wondering if there
would be any benefit of breaking the pellets down , lightly crushing
them?. I am going to use them as a slow release feed for pot plants.

And have discovered they stink!

Used them for years, orchids (Cymbidiums, Pleiones, Zygopetalums, etc) seem
to love them as do our citrus. Use them on the allotment too, onions do well
on them.
I have even crushed them up to use on the grass.
Not seen any cheap offers lately though so gradually running out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-03-2011, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hmm not sure poultry compost pellets would be slow release? I think they
are fairly fast acting fertiliser
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-03-2011, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2011 19:46, Derek wrote:
I have never used Poultry Pellets before, and was wondering if there
would be any benefit of breaking the pellets down , lightly crushing
them?. I am going to use them as a slow release feed for pot plants.

And have discovered they stink!

:~) I don't think you'll be "lightly crushing them". I had the same
idea a couple of years ago and found they were as hard as Hades. I gave
up then, but I imagine if you had an old coffee bean grinder (or
similar) you could do it. However, I only use them in really big pots
and don't feel the need to crush them at all. Never had any problems.

They do have a good healthy country smell, don't they?! ;~}

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Poultry Steve Newport sci.agriculture 9 19-05-2003 02:44 AM
Uses for plastic poultry manure tubs?? Liz & Andy United Kingdom 4 14-05-2003 06:20 PM
Poultry eqipment Wojciech Franczak sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Poultry eqipment Wojciech Franczak sci.agriculture 0 16-03-2003 11:32 AM
Poultry Steve Newport sci.agriculture 5 20-02-2003 10:24 PM