Old 21-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Ivy

Green leaf ivy,or it was now dead and formed an 8ft x 12ft border hedge to ours and aunts garden. Died off over two years ago, hoped new growth would emerge, nothing.
Blackberries, a rose and some blue flowered, shrub types, growing in hedge so not poisoned ground. Could it be age of the plants they were quite old as the base trunk is around 2.5-3 inches on four out of around six that form the hedge. Any ideas what might have killed them off?.f
Thanks
Charlie2
Old 21-03-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:36:52 +0000, Charlie2
wrote:

Green leaf ivy,or it was now dead and formed an 8ft x 12ft border hedge
to ours and aunts garden. Died off over two years ago, hoped new growth
would emerge, nothing.
Blackberries, a rose and some blue flowered, shrub types, growing in
hedge so not poisoned ground. Could it be age of the plants they were
quite old as the base trunk is around 2.5-3 inches on four out of around
six that form the hedge. Any ideas what might have killed them off?.f
Thanks
Charlie2

Ivy does not on its own form an 8 x 12 hedge. Ivy has to climb up and
cling to something and if, as your post suggests, the bulk of the
hedge was ivy then things like blackberries and roses would be snuffed
out by it or flattened as they aren't strong enought to bear the
weight of that amount of ivy.

Ivy is notoriously difficult to kill once established. I've never
known it to just die. Generally the plain green variety is tougher
than old boots though some variegated varieties are a bit more tender
until established. I have an "indoor" ivy growing happily around, and
into, my garden pond and needing to be drastically cut back every
year.

On the basis of your description, I'm wondering whether what died was
actually ivy.

Old 22-03-2011, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Charlie2

If the growth of the ivy was large and top heavy it can sometimes die back
like that, but it always reappears from below, as yours hasn't I suspect
something may have happened to it, some clones are actually quite tender so
it may just be a winter casualty, Ivy can take ages to show its in trouble.
alternatively if it is near any one else's property someone may have
sabotaged it!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM