Old 24-03-2011, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Early warning and ramblings

Yesterday I came accross 2 lilly beatles outside, very much alive,
they were on a variety of Muscari.
Also had a pair or is that a couple or a brace of Brimstone
butterflys, also a bumble bee that came in through trhe cat flap,
which is flapless as "Madam" wont push it with het head, also a toad
in the bedroom.
Now I don't mind having an almost nature reserve, but I do think that
the house should be ours.
David Hill
Old 24-03-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:53:00 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Yesterday I came accross 2 lilly beatles outside, very much alive,
they were on a variety of Muscari.
Also had a pair or is that a couple or a brace of Brimstone
butterflys, also a bumble bee that came in through trhe cat flap,
which is flapless as "Madam" wont push it with het head, also a toad
in the bedroom.
Now I don't mind having an almost nature reserve, but I do think that
the house should be ours.
David Hill

Lily beetle this early. Where's the torch? I'm off out to the garden
now! They should at least give the lilies a chance to grow more than
an inch tall! If it wasn't for the pesky red devils (in quantity) an
the consequent reliance on Provado I think I'd qualify as "organic".
Old 24-03-2011, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/03/2011 19:53, Dave Hill wrote:
Yesterday I came accross 2 lilly beatles outside, very much alive,
they were on a variety of Muscari.
Also had a pair or is that a couple or a brace of Brimstone
butterflys, also a bumble bee that came in through trhe cat flap,
which is flapless as "Madam" wont push it with het head, also a toad
in the bedroom.
Now I don't mind having an almost nature reserve, but I do think that
the house should be ours.
David Hill

Give or take the odd spider ;~)

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 29-03-2011, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
Lily beetle this early. Where's the torch? I'm off out to the garden
now! They should at least give the lilies a chance to grow more than
an inch tall! If it wasn't for the pesky red devils (in quantity) an
the consequent reliance on Provado I think I'd qualify as "organic".

I didn't think there was anything that killed the buggers.
Same with asparagus beetle. :-(
Old 29-03-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar 2011 12:01:15 GMT, wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
Lily beetle this early. Where's the torch? I'm off out to the garden
now! They should at least give the lilies a chance to grow more than
an inch tall! If it wasn't for the pesky red devils (in quantity) an
the consequent reliance on Provado I think I'd qualify as "organic".

I didn't think there was anything that killed the buggers.
Same with asparagus beetle. :-(

Provado Ultimate Bug Killer does for them if they arrive "in quantity"
but this early, it's usually just a couple (usually in copulating
mode) and my spring approach is to let my right thumb nail grow a bit
longer, just right for nipping them in half against the right index
finger. Though it's always an idea to put a sheet of white paper under
them before attacking in case they fall off - they usually land
(black) bottom up and are difficult to find on soil.

Provado's systemic so a spraying will last for a while. Downside is
that it also kills beneficial insects so spray in the evening when
they've gone to bed - don't use it as a "contact insecticide".

Toby Buckland also says that mineral soap sprays do the trick. One
product called "SB Plant Invigorator" is supposedly worth trying (QVC
are also selling it under the "Flower Power" brand) and I've got some
to try. Seems this was developed as a plant food but some bright spark
discovered it was pretty effective against blackfly and other nasties.

Jake

Hibiscus and ramblings Terry Coombs Gardening 1 08-04-2016 02:41 PM
Ramblings Muddymike United Kingdom 25 06-12-2006 02:36 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 12:58 AM
ramblings Franz Heymann United Kingdom 2 04-11-2003 09:03 PM
pepper problem! (and other ramblings) JohnDKestell Edible Gardening 3 18-06-2003 03:56 AM