Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Alan Titchmarshs programme announced

http://www.gardenersclick.com/garden...me_announ ced
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 4, 5:28*pm, Derek wrote:
http://www.gardenersclick.com/garden...iasociety.info

"names such as Sven Wombell had been "bandied around"
Would that be one of the Wombells of Wimbledon common?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-04 17:28:44 +0100, Derek said:

http://www.gardenersclick.com/garden...me_announ ced

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

It

will

be interesting to see how this one works. I'm never quite sure what's
meant by a 'magazine format'!

Lots of different strands, I presume. Gardeners' World comes in
magazine format too - although doubtless more coffee table than mass
market. I would expect ITV to be more down-market, possibly with
competitions, viewers' gardens, giveaways, DIY, product reviews, etc. I
hope so anyway -- GW caters for the keen gardener but that's only
around 5% of the people who have to maintain their garden.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-04-04 17:28:44 +0100, Derek said:

http://www.gardenersclick.com/garden...me_announ ced

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

It

will

be interesting to see how this one works. I'm never quite sure what's
meant by a 'magazine format'!

Lots of different strands, I presume. Gardeners' World comes in
magazine format too - although doubtless more coffee table than mass
market. I would expect ITV to be more down-market, possibly with
competitions, viewers' gardens, giveaways, DIY, product reviews, etc. I
hope so anyway -- GW caters for the keen gardener but that's only
around 5% of the people who have to maintain their garden.

That's the trouble, though: I think with gardening we may have come up
against the barrier beyond which TV as a medium can't actually go. TV
isn't going to inform the already informed in *any* subject: beyond a
certain level, it can only offer interesting sightseeing and the
occasional new technique, and if you want "A" Level, as it were, or
above, you have to look in books. By its nature, it can't deal with
complexity.

So I reckon Stan's described a pretty good format for Mr and Mrs
Non-Enthusiast-Gardener. But you watch the tellyteers stuff it with
irrelevant celebs, book-pluggers, fake flirtation, and all their usual
patronising dollops: they won't be able to resist it. I bet a quid for
Oxfam the very first edition will include at least one instance of
pretending not to be able to pronounce, or spell, a gardening word;
and, for another quid, within two episodes somebody will have
simperingly said something about not being good at simple arithmetic.
No, that's stingy: let's make it a fiver on the double.

--
Mike.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
It

will be interesting to see how this one works. I'm never quite sure
what's meant by a 'magazine format'!

Lots of advertising, glossy production, no article more than two pages
long with no extra difficult words, lots of unrealistic photographs and
a few personalities shoved in here and there to maintain interest!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 03:11:29 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
It

will be interesting to see how this one works. I'm never quite sure
what's meant by a 'magazine format'!

Lots of advertising, glossy production, no article more than two pages
long with no extra difficult words, lots of unrealistic photographs and
a few personalities shoved in here and there to maintain interest!

Janet

+1.

That'll be why I only look at the magazines in the shops.
(Curse those in plastic bags!)

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes
It

will be interesting to see how this one works. *I'm never quite sure
what's meant by a 'magazine format'!

Lots of advertising, glossy production, no article more than two pages
long with no extra difficult words, lots of unrealistic photographs and
a few personalities shoved in here and there to maintain interest!

Janet

+1.

That'll be why I only look at the magazines in the shops.
(Curse those in plastic bags!)

--http://www.bra-and-pants.comhttp://www.voucherfreebies.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I wonder if it will have "Kidies Corner" with Bill and Ben showing how
to repot the Flowerpot Men?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2011 08:51, Stan The Man wrote:

Lots of different strands, I presume. Gardeners' World comes in magazine
format too - although doubtless more coffee table than mass market. I
would expect ITV to be more down-market, possibly with competitions,
viewers' gardens, giveaways, DIY, product reviews, etc. I hope so anyway
-- GW caters for the keen gardener but that's only around 5% of the
people who have to maintain their garden.

Q. Papaver is more commonly known as

a) Poppy
b) David Beckham
c) France