Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple Tree - last chance

Last chance for this tree - an appeal here! We've been in this house
for 2 years now, year 1 found a fairly neglected garden, nothing haad
been pruned for a few years, so in winter I did both trees having had a
good crop off one and about 2 in total off the other, The first tree
continues to do very well, but despite quite a lot of care last year the
poorly tree continues to be poorly. Tried pruning, daily aphid/ant
hunting, clearing the border to lessen competition and pruning next door
tree to allow more light. It didn't fruit at all, only one tiny bit of
blossom and the only healthy leaves appeared at the very end of
reasonably healthy looking new branches. So - figured I'd do a really
heavy prune over winter - knowing I'd not get any fruit but might get
some decent growth. Disappointed now and it looks like it will be dug
up and replaced. Very late growth - which I might understand after the
heavy prune if it was looking healthy - but it isn't looking good at
all.

Couple of pics on flickr for perusal - both trees are Discovery as far
as I've been able to tell.

Close up of new growth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39665805@N05/5603777696/

It's neighbour.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3966580...n/photostream/

Any suggestions before it goes in the chimenea?

--
Mike B

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 9, 8:32*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
[...]

Mike B- Hide quoted text -

Have a look at these 2 videos,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtXmBVsolY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpgbp...feature=relmfu
give you any ideas?

Many years ago my old Dr in Hastings had grafted 30 varieties onto 1
old tree.
David Hill
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 7:05*pm, Mike Buckley wrote:
[...]

If I were you, I would get the book "Fruit Expert". I have looked in
mine, it lists several possible causes for this problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article cfc8a547-4adb-4cb7-90b7-
,
says...

[...]

Given I don't know which part of the tree is poorly I think it makes
sense to replace all of it.

--
Mike B

Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Buckley" wrote ...

says...

"alan.holmes" wrote:
[...]

Seeing as it looks so sick compared to the other one, and they don't last
forever anyway, and you have two Discovery's, I would take it out and plant
a new tree of a different variety or even different fruit like a Cherry.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Mike Buckley" wrote ...

says...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3966580...in/photostream
/

Any suggestions before it goes in the chimenea?

--
Mike B- Hide quoted text -

Have a look at these 2 videos,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtXmBVsolY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpgbp...feature=relmfu
give you any ideas?

Given I don't know which part of the tree is poorly I think it makes
sense to replace all of it.

Seeing as it looks so sick compared to the other one, and they don't
last forever anyway, and you have two Discovery's, I would take it out
and plant a new tree of a different variety or even different fruit
like a Cherry.

Amen to that. Makes sense.

Baz