Old 14-04-2011, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mabuka honey in IOW

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Pam, is that Manuka or Mabuka?

I will see what I can find out

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 14-04-2011, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Pam, is that Manuka or Mabuka?

I will see what I can find out

OK found it's Manuka.

Searching

Old 14-04-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Pam, is that Manuka or Mabuka?

I will see what I can find out

OK found it's Manuka.

Searching

Pam I have been onto our local newspaper, the Isle of Wight County Press
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/ and they are going to look into it and report back.
No doubt they are going to contact the local Bee Keeping Association.

Failing that, if we don't get any response before next Tuesday, I have an
interview on Isle of Wight Radio about how we have saved Shanklin Theatre
http://www.shanklintheatre.com/default.aspx from possible demolition. I
will 'try' to get something in there.

Must go, I have arranged a live question on Vectis Radio in 3 minutes. Tune
in.

Old 14-04-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2011 15:23, Pam Moore wrote:
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Well I hope their Leptospermum trees survived the winter. Mine didn't

Old 14-04-2011, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Pam.

Been in Vectis Radio and someone in the studio seems to think it is
available in Health Food Shops, but they are going to look and report back,
and who knows, there may be a listener who knows :-))

The programme I broadcast on finishes in a minute, so we may have to wait
until tomorrow.

Will let you know

Even if nothing comes from there, the County Press are on the trail :-))

Old 14-04-2011, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Manuka , aka tea tree or leptospermum, is a family of NZ plants which
grow and flower very well in mild maritime climates like the IOW. They are
evergreen with very small flowers and aromatic leaves, resistant to being
battered by wind, rain and salt; and they have a very long flowering
period. A great plant in mild gardens.

Honey producers often move the hives around hoping the bees harvest from
a particular crop ( such as heather, or lime trees); it's the plant source
that creates the flavour and quality of the honey the bees produce. No
doubt that's what some beekeeper on IOW is doing.

Janet

Got the Isle of Wight paper, The County Press on the matter and a local
Radio Station, Vectis Radio with a live interview onto the subject :-))

Old 14-04-2011, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:23:14 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Mike and Janet for the input.
I don't have time to "Listen again" to the 3 hours of Today and the
web site doesn't seem to show it.
Sorry aabout the typo in subject line.
Manuka honey is generally only available as import from NZ. Very
tasty and with health-giving, antibiotic properties, and very
expensive. I originally bought it in NZ and have seen the
leptospermum bushes growing over large areas.
I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-04-2011, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

FWIW, bees will work whatever is close to home and higher in sugar
content...no honey is really pure anything, but some things can dominate.
Some beekeepers in the U.S. produce a nice orange blossom honey, which is
kind of neat, because citrus doesn't really need bee pollination.

Old 15-04-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Mike and Janet for the input.
I don't have time to "Listen again" to the 3 hours of Today and the
web site doesn't seem to show it.
Sorry aabout the typo in subject line.
Manuka honey is generally only available as import from NZ. Very
tasty and with health-giving, antibiotic properties, and very
expensive. I originally bought it in NZ and have seen the
leptospermum bushes growing over large areas.
I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

Pam in Bristol

Other than what has been said here or what I have found out on the net, I am
afraid that nothing has come to light here on the Isle of Wight yet. The
County Press have not come back to me and I have not been in touch with the
studios at Vectis Radio yet. Don't know what happened last night as I was
out at a Lodge meeting.

It's a pity this didn't come up a few days ago as I had the afternoon in the
Studios being interviewed, I could have brought the subject up! However,
they have asked me to do a series of slots of maybe a couple of hours, BUT,
as you will hear on the recording below, they will be on Classical Music!!
How do I introduce Bees and their honey in a Classical Music
programme????????

http://calderjon.podomatic.com/entry...19_52_03-07_00

Will keep you informed :-)

Old 15-04-2011, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:54:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

pruned carefully with my new secateurs

How do I introduce Bees and their honey in a Classical Music
programme????????

http://calderjon.podomatic.com/entry...19_52_03-07_00

Will keep you informed :-)

Mike

You could try a bit of Rimsky Korsakov maybe? Just remember it's the
FLIGHT of the BUMble bee and not the other way round ;-)

Godshill Organics (in Godshill of all places) sell Manuka honey though
I don't know if they produce it or import it. They may be able to help
with the answer.

Jake
Old 15-04-2011, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

pruned carefully with my new secateurs

How do I introduce Bees and their honey in a Classical Music
programme????????

http://calderjon.podomatic.com/entry...19_52_03-07_00

Will keep you informed :-)

Mike

You could try a bit of Rimsky Korsakov maybe? Just remember it's the
FLIGHT of the BUMble bee and not the other way round ;-)

Godshill Organics (in Godshill of all places) sell Manuka honey though
I don't know if they produce it or import it. They may be able to help
with the answer.

Jake

Thank you Jake

Here you are Pam http://www.godshillorganics.co.uk/pr...tegory-12.html

Any good?

Old 15-04-2011, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
A friend tells me that she heard on the Today programme that they are
now producing manuka honey on the Isle of Wight.
Can anyone (Mike?) expand on this?

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Mike and Janet for the input.
I don't have time to "Listen again" to the 3 hours of Today and the
web site doesn't seem to show it.
Sorry aabout the typo in subject line.
Manuka honey is generally only available as import from NZ. *Very
tasty and with health-giving, antibiotic properties, and very
expensive. *I originally bought it in NZ and have seen the
leptospermum bushes growing over large areas.
I don't see how they can restrict the bees only to those bushes in an
area like IOW where there must be plenty of choice of plants for bees.
If the bees foraging far and wide it won't be pure Manuka honey.

Pam in Bristol

All honey has similar properties. Paying over the odds for some
specific flavour is just foolish if you think it wil have better
health properties, it won't.
Basically it's just sugar flavoured with the blossom it came from.
Some blossoms have no discernable scent at all. Eg rape.

Bees go where it suits them. They do show preferences for certain
blossoms.
Dunno about this particular stuff. All a beekeeper can do is place
the hives in and area where the blossom predominates and when it is
"in season".
You can't force the bees to go to it and you will never get honey
purely from that source.

Some honey has a very strong flavour which overcomes anything else
that might be in with it. Eg heather.

ADVERT for the attention of iow urglers 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 10 18-04-2012 09:29 PM
Honey fungus and wood chips John Towill United Kingdom 2 24-04-2003 07:44 PM
Wild honey bees! Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 0 16-04-2003 11:44 AM
honey bees Snooze Gardening 12 03-04-2003 12:32 AM
Honey Fungus Carol Russell United Kingdom 3 28-11-2002 11:43 AM