Old 17-04-2011, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Gate

Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and has
interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty locating a
replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an identical braced gate to
this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...ME=snapfishuk/

I'm keen to get one the same as I quite like the look of it and was hoping
to simplify the hanging of the new one.

Thanks

Old 17-04-2011, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Gate-Right Link!

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and has
interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty locating a
replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an identical braced gate
to this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...ME=snapfishuk/

I'm keen to get one the same as I quite like the look of it and was hoping
to simplify the hanging of the new one.

Thanks

Sorry, try this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...=SYE/otsi=SPHN

Old 17-04-2011, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2011 21:33, Endulini wrote:

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and has
interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty locating a
replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an identical braced
gate to this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...ME=snapfishuk/

I'm keen to get one the same as I quite like the look of it and was
hoping to simplify the hanging of the new one.

Thanks

Sorry, try this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...=SYE/otsi=SPHN

Wickews used to do a kit to make a gate like this. You could make one
yourself using 100 * 19 T&G V jointed uprights and 75 * 25 for the
ledges and bracing.

Where are you - I am in S.E Hants and could help you

Malcolm
Old 18-04-2011, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and has
interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty locating a
replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an identical braced
gate to this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...ME=snapfishuk/

I'm keen to get one the same as I quite like the look of it and was
hoping to simplify the hanging of the new one.

Thanks

Sorry, try this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...=SYE/otsi=SPHN

Wickews used to do a kit to make a gate like this. You could make one
yourself using 100 * 19 T&G V jointed uprights and 75 * 25 for the
ledges and bracing.

Where are you - I am in S.E Hants and could help you

Malcolm

Wickes still offer two gates like this - one is pre-assembled and 3
feet wide (code 187708) but there's also a kit form that has a max
width of 3ft 3ins but it's possible to vary the width quite easily
(code 187707). Their website is showing both as out of stock though.
Old 19-04-2011, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
Nospam@invalid says...

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and
has interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty
locating a replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an
identical braced gate to this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu.../AlbumID=11639
934010/a=8094760010_8094760010/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME
=snapfishuk/

I'm keen to get one the same as I quite like the look of it and
was hoping to simplify the hanging of the new one.

Thanks
Sorry, try this:

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu.../p=36217130307
2091629/l=2429916010/g=8094760010/cobrandOid=1007/campaignName=Shar
eeNewRegUK_30FreePrints_2010Feb/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPHN

Wickews used to do a kit to make a gate like this. You could make
one yourself using 100 * 19 T&G V jointed uprights and 75 * 25 for
the ledges and bracing.

Where are you - I am in S.E Hants and could help you

Malcolm

Wickes still offer two gates like this - one is pre-assembled and 3
feet wide (code 187708) but there's also a kit form that has a max
width of 3ft 3ins but it's possible to vary the width quite easily
(code 187707). Their website is showing both as out of stock though.

Look in yellow pages for shed-makers, they will also make gates to
order. IME, their products are generally cheaper AND much better
quality than ready-made from chain outlets.

Janet

True, but this gate will last decades if tanalised timber is used. Shed
builders would be a very expensive source, and unless you are very lucky
they use inferior timber. Even if the timber is good quality the
gate/door would probably fall to bits after the nails have corroded.

Why not make one at home?
OK I an a carpenter and joiner and find this job easy. And it is even for
a DIY person.

Just make sure the t&g and bracers are tanalised, and the nails are
galvanised, and bend the nails over after you have hammered them through.
Then bend over and bury the 'spikes' with a nail punch. Fill holes if you
have to, but not needed.

It is so easy, no joints to cut because it's tongue and groove and you
have the origional gate to use as a pattern for the bracers.

As a bit of a footnote, I have fitted numerous gates and shed doors to
peoples property, purchased by the owner from just about every outlet and
have always found that after fitting/hanging they ALWAYS swell in winter
and shrink in summer That is classic of non seasoned cheap timber and
used in the manufacture of very inferior products.
Do you know that even described as fence posts from the top suppliers are
just plain, untreated timber? Would last 2 years? Don't take my word on
it, ask the next time "has this fence post been treated with
preservative", when you have been through to head office with the(any)
firm the answer will be "I am not sure". It is 75mm by 75mm and is thus a
fence post.

Baz

Old 19-04-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:18:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

Look in yellow pages for shed-makers, they will also make gates to
order. IME, their products are generally cheaper AND much better quality
than ready-made from chain outlets.

Agreed though you might be better looking for a saw mill that also
manufactures finshed products perhaps in the agricultural line. Had
three gates made up about 10 years ago at such a place, about £250
delivered. One large field gate and two smaller ones. All are still
tight and not dropped at all no sign of rot. Dip treated after
manufacture.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-04-2011, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've been trying to replace a gate that's affected with rot (and has
interesting fungi growing on it) but have had difficulty locating a
replacement, can anyone tell me where I can buy an identical braced
gate to this:

snip

Sorry, missed the original, so jumping in half way through.
I would recommend Cannock Gates
http://www.cannockgates.co.uk/
I got a very similar one from them.

(Before anyone suggests I work for them: I dont :-)

Old 24-04-2011, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:31:51 +0100, Anne Underhill wrote:

I would recommend Cannock Gates
http://www.cannockgates.co.uk/
I got a very similar one from them.

For a price I expect. I had three gates made to my overall design and
sizes from a local sawmill/timber yard for less than Cannock wanted
for one of them.

--
Cheers
Dave.