Old 20-04-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Visiting B&Q? Beware

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:02:54 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 20/04/2011 14:44, Jake wrote:

These automated systems have their downside - because they're
automated they don't know what discretion is,

On a slight tangent; I once couldn't get into an automated barrier
controlled car park because it insisted the car park was full. What had
happened is that one of the bollards that circled the car park had been
removed for reasons unknown and cars were coming in via the barrier and
sneaking out where the bollard was missing. Thus the computer controlled
system couldn't keep accurate count and the car park was "full" when it
was half empty. It was funny in a way, but frustrating for me struggling
to find somewhere to park.

That's nothing compared to a jammed barrier when you want to get out
of an unattended car park and a queue of cars is stuck for over an
hour until someone turns up to fix it! And you can't go through the
"in" barrier either! I hate barrier controlled car parks!
Old 20-04-2011, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 20/04/2011 10:28, David in Normandy wrote:
On 20/04/2011 09:46, 'Mike' wrote:
If you intend to visit your B&Q Garden Centre for your plants etc. Or
visit
B&Q for anything and stroll around and possibly pop in for a cuppa if
they
have an inhouse cafe ....................................

BEWARE ..................................

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the
post of
£50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks, otherwise the fine goes up to £100.00.

NOT LEGAL, but a frightener.

Check if your B&Q are doing the same thing.

Matalan are also doing this scam.

You might like to add any other stores etc who are doing this.

Mike

I read about someone getting hit with this a few months ago.
They'd been in B&Q for more than two hours choosing and sorting out
having a fitted kitchen or some such fitted and buying lot of things
associated with the project only to get hit with a fine through the post
for being parked there for something like 2 hours and 10 minutes. He
raised hell with the store manager considering the fact he'd just spend
several thousand pounds there but was unable to get his money back -
something to do with the parking company not being under the control of
B&Q. Quite rightly the guy was very angry and vowed never to shop at B&Q
again.

I can understand that such a deterrent is needed to stop people abusing
the car park and shopping elsewhere but I think the store manager should
have some sort of fine veto arrangement with the company they have the
car park managed through or it is a very good way of getting bad
publicity and losing good customers.

I don't know who decides how rigidly they enforce the rules but certainly
a friend of mine didn't get a letter after being in Tesco for 30 minutes
longer than he should.
The B&Q example sounds crazy. I'd certainly talk to somebody further up
the scale.

Or tell them to take it to court!

Alan

Old 20-04-2011, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:48:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

AND of course have legal right to issue fines

You are parked on private land.
You agree to the published terms and conditions when you park on said
private land.
It's not a "fine" it is charge as laid down in the terms and
conditions of parking on the private land.
If you don't wish to accept the terms and conditions don't park on
the private land covered by those terms and conditions.

And do not forget to let them know you will be shopping somewhere else!

Alan

Simples. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-04-2011, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:46:13 +0100, Mike wrote:

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the
post of £50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks,

Where have you been? This is quite common on large "free" car parks.

Tesco Hexham have such a system, but then just across the road is a
large council Pay and Display car park so I can see the free Tesco
one being abused. Fairly sure Tesco Carlisle @ J43 also has cameras.

As to being illegal not so sure(*) there are notices up, if you don't
bother to read them that's your look out.

(*) The driver is the one liable not the "registered keeper" that the
notice will have been sent to. You can probably insist that they
provide proof of who was driving, which they probably can via a head
on photograph of the car...

While all the above is true, I can't help wondering what anyone would find
to do in B&Q that takes over two hours!

--
Kathy

Old 20-04-2011, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 20/04/2011 14:44, Jake wrote:

[...]

I had the opposite. One morning I couldn't get into the long stay car park
because they had lost the only key to grill on the entrance.

--
Kathy

Old 21-04-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 23:43, Kathy wrote:
[...]

Buying a kitchen, as per the original post.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

and/or using their cafe, AND, they are now doing 'Teach ins' according to
the radio.

So you attend a 'Teach in', see what you want and go and buy it. Take it to
the car. Go back and have a cuppa and cake in their cafe.

Then get clobbered for giving them your custom.

NOW do you see why I flagged it up?

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 21-04-2011, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:55:10 +0100, Mike wrote:

So you attend a 'Teach in', see what you want and go and buy it. Take it
to the car. Go back and have a cuppa and cake in their cafe.

Then get clobbered for giving them your custom.

NOW do you see why I flagged it up?

But all these "free" store car parks have a had time limits of 2 or 3
hours for a very long time. So they've started to enforce the limit
it, just think of all the times you've got away with it...

I wonder how clever the camera systems are. Drive out at limit -
5mins around the round about and straight back in... One would have
to READ THE NOTICE to see if there is a "no return within x hrs" like
there is on quite a number of other parking places.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-04-2011, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2011 16:11, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

On 21/04/2011 13:26, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

While all the above is true, I can't help wondering what anyone would find
to do in B&Q that takes over two hours!

He said; choosing a kitchen. Even with their inhouse CAD system, it
could easily take 2 hours to decide the right combination and layout from
the huge number of options on sale (units, worktops, sinks, floor,
handles,tiles, appliances.

Janet

And get it all through the self service checkout, and speak to your bank
on the phone when the excessive amount of money being spent flags your
account. Then try and remember who you are and what your mother's maiden
name is.

LOL. How about, trying to remember which variation spelling of your
mother's maiden name you so cunningly told the bank to trip up those pesky
ID thieves....

Janet.

I use different fictitious mother's maiden names, fathers names, names
of first school, employer, boss, place of birth etc with every bank or
'official' site. If I ever lose my encrypted data I'm stuffed! LOL

Any other websites that insist on a data of birth (common in France) get
a different fictitious one too. I somewhere between 18 and 100 years old!

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It was the abuse of Supermarket "free" carparks that made the Supermarkets
impose penalties for parking by non-supermarket shoppers. A local TESCO car
park was always full and a large number of cars there were belonging to
people shopping in the nearby town shops.

You can hardly blame the Supermarkets for looking after their own commercial
interest by having their carparks full of their own customers' cars.

The two hour limit is pretty general based on the suposition that any of
their customers should have completed their shoping in that time. Anone
still parked would probably not be one of their customers and shopping
elesewhere.

Bill

Old 22-04-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:43:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Sainsbury in Haxby employ an OAP to write down car numbers on a clip
board.
--

Martin

O - overstayed