Old 20-04-2011, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Visiting B&Q? Beware

If you intend to visit your B&Q Garden Centre for your plants etc. Or visit
B&Q for anything and stroll around and possibly pop in for a cuppa if they
have an inhouse cafe ....................................

BEWARE ..................................

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the post of
£50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks, otherwise the fine goes up to £100.00.

NOT LEGAL, but a frightener.

Check if your B&Q are doing the same thing.

Matalan are also doing this scam.

You might like to add any other stores etc who are doing this.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 20-04-2011, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 08:46, 'Mike' wrote:
If you intend to visit your B&Q Garden Centre for your plants etc. Or visit
B&Q for anything and stroll around and possibly pop in for a cuppa if they
have an inhouse cafe ....................................

BEWARE ..................................

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the post of
£50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks, otherwise the fine goes up to £100.00.

AND they don't water their bedding plants.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 08:46, 'Mike' wrote:
If you intend to visit your B&Q Garden Centre for your plants etc. Or visit
B&Q for anything and stroll around and possibly pop in for a cuppa if they
have an inhouse cafe ....................................

BEWARE ..................................

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the post of
£50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks, otherwise the fine goes up to £100.00.

NOT LEGAL, but a frightener.

ISTR reading somewhere that courts are beginning to rule in favour of
the parking companies. Would all the big stores sign up for it otherwise?
Old 20-04-2011, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:46:13 +0100, Mike wrote:

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the
post of £50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks,

Where have you been? This is quite common on large "free" car parks.

Tesco Hexham have such a system, but then just across the road is a
large council Pay and Display car park so I can see the free Tesco
one being abused. Fairly sure Tesco Carlisle @ J43 also has cameras.

As to being illegal not so sure(*) there are notices up, if you don't
bother to read them that's your look out.

(*) The driver is the one liable not the "registered keeper" that the
notice will have been sent to. You can probably insist that they
provide proof of who was driving, which they probably can via a head
on photograph of the car...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-04-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 09:46, 'Mike' wrote:
If you intend to visit your B&Q Garden Centre for your plants etc. Or visit
B&Q for anything and stroll around and possibly pop in for a cuppa if they
have an inhouse cafe ....................................

BEWARE ..................................

The one here on the Isle of Wight photographs your car on the way in and
times the photo.

and?

When you leave, it photographs it again, with the time.

and?

If you have been over two hours, you will receive a fine through the post of
£50.00 if you pay within 2 weeks, otherwise the fine goes up to £100.00.

NOT LEGAL, but a frightener.

Check if your B&Q are doing the same thing.

Matalan are also doing this scam.

You might like to add any other stores etc who are doing this.

Mike

I read about someone getting hit with this a few months ago.
They'd been in B&Q for more than two hours choosing and sorting out
having a fitted kitchen or some such fitted and buying lot of things
associated with the project only to get hit with a fine through the post
for being parked there for something like 2 hours and 10 minutes. He
raised hell with the store manager considering the fact he'd just spend
several thousand pounds there but was unable to get his money back -
something to do with the parking company not being under the control of
B&Q. Quite rightly the guy was very angry and vowed never to shop at B&Q
again.

I can understand that such a deterrent is needed to stop people abusing
the car park and shopping elsewhere but I think the store manager should
have some sort of fine veto arrangement with the company they have the
car park managed through or it is a very good way of getting bad
publicity and losing good customers.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 20-04-2011, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 20/04/2011 09:46, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

David, your last para. That is my feeling too and why I flagged it up

Old 20-04-2011, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 10:28, David in Normandy wrote:
On 20/04/2011 09:46, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

I don't know who decides how rigidly they enforce the rules but
certainly a friend of mine didn't get a letter after being in Tesco for
30 minutes longer than he should.
The B&Q example sounds crazy. I'd certainly talk to somebody further up
the scale.
Old 20-04-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-20 10:50:28 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:43:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Sainsbury in Haxby employ an OAP to write down car numbers on a clip
board.

Morrisons in Totnes are *much* grander - they have a man with some kind
of electronic gizmo who checks whether or not you've paid your parking
fee and enters arrival times. That fee is returnable if you have
bought things in the store but not if you use their car park to walk
into the town instead!

The Co-op in Whitby has something similar. The time you get to parkl
free is dependent on how much you spend, otherwise you pay when you
leave the car park. We worked out long ago that buying something works
out cheaper than paying to use the adjacent public car parks.
--

Martin

Marks and Spencers in Newport and I believe Morrisons are the same. I was
flagging up the sneaky and underhanded way B&Q were acting.

:-((

Old 20-04-2011, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:28:16 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

I can understand that such a deterrent is needed to stop people abusing
the car park and shopping elsewhere but I think the store manager should
have some sort of fine veto arrangement with the company they have the
car park managed through or it is a very good way of getting bad
publicity and losing good customers.

I manage a number of estates where we've (reluctantly) had to bring in
parking management because of abuse problems - polite notices put
under windscreen wipers are ignored and it's surprising how many of
the problem cars are "repeat problems". In all cases, the parking
management contractor has paid for the installation of the camera
systems (we simply provide somewhere for the "control computer" with
electricity and an ADSL link back to their base). These systems can
cost several thousand pounds. In return, the contractor gets an
agreement which gives them the "absolute" right to enforce whatever
the rules are. I make sure there's a clause that allows me to "demand"
cancellation of a ticket but have to use this ability carefully. We
do, though, maintain funds which can be used to reimburse someone the
cost of what is a "legal" ticket in "unfortunate circumstances" such
as the B&Q one quoted.

These automated systems have their downside - because they're
automated they don't know what discretion is, though normally they
will be set to allow 10-15 minutes leeway over the specified time. But
they are far better than the alternative of clamping - at least you
can drive away immediately rather than having to wait for someone to
come to remove a clamp.

I'm currently looking at one store car park where we're thinking of
making it "pay and display" and the parking fee will be refunded at
the checkout - this is because the 2 hour limit is being abused by
people who want to shop nearby in a town centre and can do what they
want to do in the 2 hour period whilst people who want to shop in the
store cannot park there.

Jake
Old 20-04-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2011 14:44, Jake wrote:

These automated systems have their downside - because they're
automated they don't know what discretion is,

On a slight tangent; I once couldn't get into an automated barrier
controlled car park because it insisted the car park was full. What had
happened is that one of the bollards that circled the car park had been
removed for reasons unknown and cars were coming in via the barrier and
sneaking out where the bollard was missing. Thus the computer controlled
system couldn't keep accurate count and the car park was "full" when it
was half empty. It was funny in a way, but frustrating for me struggling
to find somewhere to park.

Old 20-04-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In all cases, the parking
management contractor has paid for the installation of the camera
systems (we simply provide somewhere for the "control computer" with
electricity and an ADSL link back to their base). These systems can
cost several thousand pounds. In return, the contractor gets an
agreement which gives them the "absolute" right to enforce whatever
the rules are. I make sure there's a clause that allows me to "demand"
cancellation of a ticket but have to use this ability carefully. We
do, though, maintain funds which can be used to reimburse someone the
cost of what is a "legal" ticket in "unfortunate circumstances" such
as the B&Q one quoted.

Interesting insight. Thanks
Old 20-04-2011, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:48:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

AND of course have legal right to issue fines

You are parked on private land.
You agree to the published terms and conditions when you park on said
private land.
It's not a "fine" it is charge as laid down in the terms and
conditions of parking on the private land.
If you don't wish to accept the terms and conditions don't park on
the private land covered by those terms and conditions.

Simples. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-04-2011, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:48:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

AND of course have legal right to issue fines

You are parked on private land.
You agree to the published terms and conditions when you park on said
private land.
It's not a "fine" it is charge as laid down in the terms and
conditions of parking on the private land.
If you don't wish to accept the terms and conditions don't park on
the private land covered by those terms and conditions.

Simples. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Maybe, but don't you feel that the 'system' should be made quite clear on
entry and not on some hidden notice somewhere?

NOT that I am saying it is "on some hidden notice somewhere", but for people
to be caught out, it cannot be that obvious can it?

Had I thought, I could have checked it out yesterday as I was in the Radio
Studios doing an interview and B&Q are on the same roundabout as the road to
the studios.

Old 20-04-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:48:38 +0200, Martin wrote:

AND of course have legal right to issue fines

You are parked on private land.
You agree to the published terms and conditions when you park on said
private land.
It's not a "fine" it is charge as laid down in the terms and
conditions of parking on the private land.
If you don't wish to accept the terms and conditions don't park on
the private land covered by those terms and conditions.

Simples. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Maybe, but don't you feel that the 'system' should be made quite clear on
entry and not on some hidden notice somewhere?

NOT that I am saying it is "on some hidden notice somewhere", but for people
to be caught out, it cannot be that obvious can it?

Its not their fault if people don't bother to look for or read signs, it
happens all the time.

There has to be several warning notices dotted about the car park for
people to see otherwise they would not be able to legally charge.

Stephen.
Old 20-04-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
hill.co.uk...
[...]

I quite agree with you. I am now very curious and next time I am in the
close vicinity I will investigate. I am talking with the Radio Station which
first drew my attention to this, and whilst it is a little way away from
B&Q, I will investigate. They have requested that I do a series on there so
I will, 'subject to protocol', have plenty of air time ;-))