Old 01-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Steven Pilbeam

Default Magnolia:-Recommendations

I would like a Magnolia tree in my garden which is on chalky soil .
Any recommendations please for one that requires minimum work
from me, has masses of flowers but will not get to high.
I am a gardening novice and have looked on Google but get information overload !

Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 1 May 2003 12:07:48 +0100, "Steven Pilbeam"
wrote:

I would like a Magnolia tree in my garden which is on chalky soil .
Any recommendations please for one that requires minimum work
from me, has masses of flowers but will not get to high.
I am a gardening novice and have looked on Google but get information overload !

Your chalky soil limits the choice, as most magnolias like an acid
soil. However, there are a few that will tolerate chalk.

M.stellata is a popular, small growing magnolia, looking more like a
large shrub when young, with white, scented, wide starry flowers.
Hardy. It is said to be capable of growing on alkaline soils (around
pH 7.5). Chalk may be more alkaline than this.

M.kobus is similar to M.stellata but has fewer petals, and is able to
grow on chalk. The hybrids between M.kobus and M.stellata (generally
known as M x loebneri) should also tolerate chalk. 'Leonard Messel' is
the best known of these hybrids. Its young leaves always look
chlorotic (yellow) but green up later in the season. Hardy.

Other species are M.grandiflora (evergreen, large fragrant waxy
creamy-white flowers lasting only a couple of days, often grown
against a wall).

M.wilsonii, M.sinensis, M. x highdownensis (sinensis x wilsonii) and
possibly M.sieboldii. These last four are all related, and grow up to
20ft high. They have white, wide, open cup-shaped flowers with red
stamens, and tend to point downwards.

You could search for pictures of these and for more specific
information on Google.

When you've made your selection, dig a lot of organic matter, compost
etc. into the site before you plant it.

--
Chris

small magnolia tree growing Lewis Spurlin Jr North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 02:20 PM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 06:56 PM
Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire John Moran United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM