Old 23-04-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ideas for Planting in an Empty Bed

I am in the process of choosing plants for a south-facing bed which has been
completely cleared. The original soil contained a lot of clay (as is the
norm for Leigh-on-Sea) but there has been the addition of new topsoil into
which homemade compost will shortly be dug.
The bed is edged by a 6-foot high fence and has 2 larger curved bays (each
about 15 feet long and curved to a max point of about 4 feet deep) with a
smaller narrow bay (1 fence panel wide) in between in which I am planning to
plant a clematis. My current knowledge of shrubs lies mainly with hebes,
euonymous and laurel so it's pretty limited.

I am keen to plant a mock orange, in particular philadelphus 'coronarius
aureus', but fear that this variety may grow too tall. However, I am aware
of the necesstiy to prune annually. Is there a more compact variety which
also produces the sweet-smelling flowers?
I also fancy a spirea firelight and I particularly love plants with bright
green foliage, such as choisya sundance.

All I'm really after are some planting ideas - to give year-round interest,
a variety of foliage and a touch of colour.

Any ideas and knowledge will be gratefully welcomed.

Jo
Leigh-on-Sea in Essex