Old 25-07-2003, 01:03 PM
The Reid

Default Empty bean bed

Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 25-07-2003, 03:07 PM
bigboard

The Reid wrote:
Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?

I got some radish and lettuce in as quickly as possible.

Old 25-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:12:09 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?

If you have, or can acquire some leek seedlings, plant them in the
space you have created. That is what I have just done!

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Mike Lyle

bigboard wrote in message ...
The Reid wrote:
Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?

I got some radish and lettuce in as quickly as possible.

Chinese cabbage are *best* sown in July. They make great sauerkraut,
too; or Korean-style kim-u-chi with garlic and chillies. This is also
the time to sow spinach beet for winter greens (and the white midribs
which I like as a separate vegetable, though my children tell me it's
a perversion).

Mike.
Old 26-07-2003, 12:12 AM
andrewpreece

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
bigboard wrote in message

The Reid wrote:
Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?

My broad beans ( still cropping ) have new flowering shoots coming up from
the base. In effect I appear to be getting a second crop. Is this normal?

Andy

Old 26-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Now broad beans and peas have gone is there anything useful I can do
with the empty spaces?
--
Mike Reid

Obvious thing to me is some nice spring cabbage or some quick salad
stuff like lettuce and radishes.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 26-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Steve Harris

My choices we

- Lettuce Webbs Wonderful
- Radish Mino Early
- Turnip Golden Ball
- French Bean Purple Queen (Yes, I know I shouldn't follow a bean with a
bean)
- Radish Osterguss Rose allowed to bolt and has flowered - want to see
if I get decent pods on it. (all the official podding radishes seem to
be sold out this year)
- Courgette Gold Rush planted late because the May sowing failed.

Old 27-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Pam Moore
writes
I THINK I've heard that rotation doesn't matter so much with beans as
they fix their own nitrogen.
But if you cut off the broad bean stems and leave roots in the ground
you will have the benefit of the nitrogen nodules on the roots for
whatever you plant next.

That's right, peas, beans and all other legumes leave nitrogen in the
ground which can be used by a following crop. That doesn't affect the
need for crop rotation though. Repeated growing of the same plant family
will result in a build up of diseases regardless of how much nitrogen is
in the soil.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Edwin Spector

andrewpreece wrote:

My broad beans ( still cropping ) have new flowering shoots coming up from
the base. In effect I appear to be getting a second crop. Is this normal?

I thought it was just me. I was getting ready to retire on the proceeds of
selling the "Double Cropping" broad bean seed.

Edwin
Bath.