Old 30-04-2011, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Cherry tree trimmimg

I have one of these vertical cherry trees which has all its branches close
to the main stem.A friend told me that I should trim the top to help bulk
out the tree.
I wanted to leave it to grow as tall as it wants to. Am I right or my
friend?
Blair

Old 30-04-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 30, 9:57*pm, "bm" wrote:
I have one of these vertical cherry trees which has all its branches close
to the main stem.A friend told me that I should trim the top to help bulk
out the tree.
I wanted to leave it to grow as tall as it wants to. Am I right or my
friend?
Blair

If you trim it it may well start to grow out and not up.
Old 30-04-2011, 11:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm View Post
I have one of these vertical cherry trees which has all its branches close
to the main stem.A friend told me that I should trim the top to help bulk
out the tree.
I wanted to leave it to grow as tall as it wants to. Am I right or my
friend?
Blair
Isn't the whole point of it that you want it to be tall and slim and not to bulk out??

Amanagawa is the usual cherry with this habit.

Cherry trees are a bit dodgy to prune - inclined to get fungal diseases through the cut surface - for this reason you prune while in full growth rather than when dormant. If I were you, I'd leave well alone.
__________________
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2011 22:57, bm wrote:
I have one of these vertical cherry trees which has all its branches close
to the main stem.A friend told me that I should trim the top to help bulk
out the tree.
I wanted to leave it to grow as tall as it wants to. Am I right or my
friend?
Blair

It sounds like one of the self set cherry trees in my wild garden. It
must be in the region of nearly forty feet high and not much in the way
of side branches. I guess it depends largely on your reason for growing
it. Mine looks pretty briefly while it flowers, but never had a single
cherry off it, the birds scoff them all and not a hope of putting any
netting over it!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.