Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Registered User

Default Bay tree

Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? At a guesse it is about 4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Charlie2

Mine went the same way. Check the bark on the effected branches. If
it is flaking off, it's the same as mine went. I assume it is frost
damage froml last Winter.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2011 05:34, harry wrote:
On May 6, 12:35 am,
wrote:
Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years
now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one
main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th
still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of
bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be
pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? At a guesse it is about
4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.

--
Charlie2

Mine went the same way. Check the bark on the effected branches. If
it is flaking off, it's the same as mine went. I assume it is frost
damage froml last Winter.

It is probably either frost damage or you have sprayed it with an
insecticide that it didn't like. Either way one in an 18" pot will be as
tough as old boots and should come back from the roots even if all the
top growth dies off. Leave it in a corner and remember to water it from
time to time - chances are it will come back from the roots.

It is much more annoying when a trained bay tree ball goes this way.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2 View Post
Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? At a guesse it is about 4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.
The die-back is likely frost damage from last winter. Since it was in a pot, could also be some root damage if the frost got into the pot. Growing plants long term in containers they do become constrained by nutrient availability and pot size in the end. They do need tipping out and refreshing the soil (a few don't-touch-my-roots sensitive plants aside) every now and then if you aren't potting on to a larger container. Bay trees are often seen long term in containers, but in the end they often seem to end up looking not very well in them. They are happier in the ground where they can thrive long term.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie2" wrote in message

Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years
now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one
main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th
still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of
bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be
pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? At a guesse it is about
4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.

it needs watering regularly.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 6, 10:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Charlie2" wrote in message

Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years
now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one
main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th
still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of
bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be
pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? *At a guesse it is about
4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.

it needs watering regularly.

Mine was a tree twenty odd feet high and in the ground not a pot.
Must have been thirty or forty years old. The trunk was 18" diameter
at the bottom. But stone dead,no sign of regrowth.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Charlie2" wrote in message

Dry curling leaves on bay tree which has done well for last two years
now seems to be dying off. Not like ones I've seen in garden centres one
main trunk mine has five stems from root 4 curled drying leaves, the 5th
still fresh and green but may go say way. Can't see any indication of
bug attack. In 18" pot and reasoably sheltered positon....could it be
pot bound or would it be lack of neutrients? *At a guesse it is about
4yrs old.
Thanks in anticipation.

it needs watering regularly.

Mine was a tree twenty odd feet high and in the ground not a pot.
Must have been thirty or forty years old. The trunk was 18" diameter
at the bottom. But stone dead,no sign of regrowth.

Monty had a sad, frost-stricken bay on GW last night. I think he said
cut back the dead stuff and it will regrow.
Thats what I did with mine after last winter's snow. Now it needs
doing again.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Charlie2" wrote in message

[...]

i was very afraid about my 3 y o bay which stood out all winter in a pot, i
was sure it would be a gonna but it seems fine, unlike my aunt's 20 yo one
which is planted into the garden and has suffered badly, most of the leaves
of that are brownish.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 May 2011 01:12:26 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
"Charlie2" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a bay that I kept pruning so it developed as a bush rather
than a tree - about 6 feet tall and 5 in diameter. After winter
die-back, in late March I ruthlessly (and quite carelessly) just went
at it with hedge trimmer and lopper and got it back to about 3 feet
tall and wide. I treated it to a decent mulch and feed. There's still
some dead growth which I'll take out probably early June with
secateurs. It's now covered in new shoots, even growing from what I
would have called "dead wood" in the centre, which is now open to the
sky. In my case, the "ruthless treatment" has worked both quickly and
well.

bay tree compost papa United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 02:47 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Cuttings from a bay tree Ian Snowdon United Kingdom 10 27-01-2003 10:36 PM
Now OT, was: Cuttings from a bay tree Andy Spragg United Kingdom 0 21-01-2003 08:29 AM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM