Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered User

Default Suffolk punch 35dl exhaust

Hi all,
Finally managed to get my hands on an old Suffolk punch and am slowly trying to bring it back to life.
Unfortunately the exhaust system was totally wrecked and had rusted itself firmly to the port. After trying all the normal methods of freeing it (wd40, long wrenches, heat, etc etc) I've come to the conclusion that the only way will be to drill it out and re-tap the hole.
Does anyone know the specs for the thread on the exhaust? I've a feeling it's BSP but would love to have that confirmed.
Thanks and regards,
Sam
Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Samseal

Hi Sam,
I would say it is certainly a BSP thread.
Tricky job drilling it out probably best to try and drill as large as you
can without actually touching the original thread any more than necessary
and hope you can collapse the pipe wall and remove. Then hopefully you will
then be able to clean up the threads with a tap. Sorry if I'm teaching
granny to suck eggs but I've been there or thereabouts on many occasions and
thank the lord retired now!

Harry

Old 13-05-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Samseal" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
Finally managed to get my hands on an old Suffolk punch and am slowly
trying to bring it back to life.
Unfortunately the exhaust system was totally wrecked and had rusted
itself firmly to the port. After trying all the normal methods of
freeing it (wd40, long wrenches, heat, etc etc) I've come to the
conclusion that the only way will be to drill it out and re-tap the
hole.
Does anyone know the specs for the thread on the exhaust? I've a feeling
it's BSP but would love to have that confirmed.
Thanks and regards,
Sam

Hi Sam. If there is enough of the old exhaust left try getting a piece of
steel welded to the stump. Then you have something to get hold of and turn.
The heat from the weld also goes a long way in freeing up the rusted thread.

Mike

Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 09:24 AM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 08:21 AM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 03:35 AM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 12:28 AM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 09:03 PM