Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default German parsnips

A while ago I asked you all about the likelihood of my German friend having
any success by sowing seeds very early that subsequent froze.
Almost everyone said "no chance"

She told me they are all up but her 3 y o seed is is slightly behind the
fresh seed I sent.
She says this:

"what if English parsnip seeds fail so often BECAUSE it's not so cold? What
if they germinate better if they had a really cold time in the ground before
spring, and English gardeners never know because they never try because they
don't believe it works.... (just a thought)"

--
I can't argue with her. Everyone on here said no chance but they are up.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

A while ago I asked you all about the likelihood of my German friend
having any success by sowing seeds very early that subsequent froze.
Almost everyone said "no chance"

She told me they are all up but her 3 y o seed is is slightly behind the
fresh seed I sent.
She says this:

"what if English parsnip seeds fail so often BECAUSE it's not so cold?
What if they germinate better if they had a really cold time in the ground
before spring, and English gardeners never know because they never try
because they don't believe it works.... (just a thought)"

I can't argue with her. Everyone on here said no chance but they are up.

Well there's a thought, perhaps we will try planting them very early next
year and see. Can always replant later if it fails but it's worth a try. A
lot of tree seed has to be "stratified" before it germinates so why not
Parsnip.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 10, 10:53*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Christina Websell" *wrote

[...]

W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

Just put the seed packets in the fridge for a couple of weeks before
planting
Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

Yes, that's a much better idea. Thanks.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

Except your fridge is +5C and what I am talking about in Germany
was -15-20C. I did not believe the parsnips would come up either but they
have.

Tina

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote

[...]

In the freezer then, one of ours is at -18°C.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden