Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Attention Mike: How to pronounce (French and some German) Rose

dave weil wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:37:10 -0700, Radika Kesavan
wrote:

... http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

And since we've been talking about Trier lately, I wanted to point
out that, although most Americans seem to pronounce the name
tree-AIR, the actual pronunciation is something like Tree-ur, with
only a little more emphasis on the first syllable (but not much).

And here I thought it was pronounced "tri-ayeh" or something!

Of course, the branch of my fanily has always mispronounced our last
name (I'm a wheel, not a while or vile if you want to be exact).

As in Kurt Weill. Or do I have this wrong too.

Well, some might think I'm vile g...

You know that I don't, I am sure of this.

And here is a little OT 'secret' - Mack is the one male friend who is
absolutely unafraid of his feminine side; the only person, let alone
man, who boldly declares his intense interest in "The Bold and the
Beautiful." Alas, it is too feminine a sopa opera for my masculine side,
which prefers "The Guiding Light" to B&B g. But Mack is incurably
devoted to B&B, alas.

--
Radika
California

Old 13-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Radika Kesavan

dave weil wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:06:45 -0700, Radika Kesavan
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

And since we've been talking about Trier lately, I wanted to
point out that .... the actual pronunciation is something like
Tree-ur, with only a little more emphasis on the first syllable
(but not much).

And here I thought it was pronounced "tri-ayeh" or something!

I forgot to mention the slight trill on the first r.

So, is it Tree-ur or Trri-ayeh? IMWTK.

As in Kurt Weill. Or do I have this wrong too.

Nope, that's correct. Vile it is.

You don't like Weill's music? I like his work done in collaboration with
Brecht. However, JD told me once that Brecht was a vile character who
took credit for much of the work done by his very bright mistresses -
but then it is mysterious to me why bright mistresses let themselves be
used this way. Still and all, I like a short poem attributed to Brecht -
whether it was a bright mistress who actually penned them is anotehr
issue altogether:
"When I speak my words,
They must pierce the hearts
Of those who hear.
If you don't stand up for yourself,
You will fall down.
Surely you see that."

Well, some might think I'm vile g...

You know that I don't, I am sure of this. ...

And here is a little OT 'secret' ... "The Bold and the Beautiful."
Alas, it is too feminine a sopa opera for my masculine side, which
prefers "The Guiding Light" to B&B g. ...

Frankly, I find B&B hopelessly maudlin *and* overblown at the same
time; cliched, silly and overacted.

's what I think too, shhhh.... don't tell Mack, it will hurt his
feelings. On his feminine side, of course.

It's just plain silly (but that's just my opinion). It's like
watching a train wreck.

Uh-Huh. But, shhhhhhhhh ...... he is a friend of mine.

Give me the often-times tongue-in-cheek General Hospital.

Not after Luke raped Laura though. That was too beastial.

Or even the portentious Young and the Restless.

Hmmmm ... used to like it when I was much younger and less restless, it
is just plain boring these days from what I read in the yrnews.com,
however. As bad as B&B, really. But, about B&B, shhhhhhhh ....

I commend GL to you, more consistently bad and good over a few decades.

I counterbalance this by my abiding interest in Highlander chuckle.

I devote myself to 24 for the same reason. And Andromeda, not too bad.
But the best thing, most of the times, is Everwood. There I stay, for I
do like Treat Williams better than most, even when he plays J. Edgar Hoover!

My best rose this year is, once again, Pink Cardinal Hume - no need for
phonetic spelling here?

--
Radika
California

Old 14-06-2003, 12:56 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

dave weil wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:37:10 -0700, Radika Kesavan

http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

And since we've been talking about Trier lately, I wanted to point
out that, although most Americans seem to pronounce the name
tree-AIR, the actual pronunciation is something like Tree-ur, with
only a little more emphasis on the first syllable (but not much).

And here I thought it was pronounced "tri-ayeh" or something!

really now. that's a good one.

Of course, the branch of my fanily has always mispronounced our last
name (I'm a wheel, not a while or vile if you want to be exact).

I would have thought as in 'vile' since that's how it's pronounced in
German-- I guess most people don't know this word, when it's not your name,
actually means 'because' or 'since' in Deutsch? I took two years of that
stuff back when Teddy Roosevelt was prez.

As in Kurt Weill. Or do I have this wrong too.

Well, some might think I'm vile g...

You know that I don't, I am sure of this.

And here is a little OT 'secret' - Mack is the one male friend who is
absolutely unafraid of his feminine side; the only person, let alone
man, who boldly declares his intense interest in "The Bold and the
Beautiful." Alas, it is too feminine a sopa opera for my masculine side,
which prefers "The Guiding Light" to B&B g. But Mack is incurably
devoted to B&B, alas.

hahaha. I draw the line when the young twins start singing though.
I don't follow any others. a buddy of mine regularly takes shots at the
great acting. thing is, he now knows names.

Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

Old 14-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Radika Kesavan wrote:

.... The friend writes to me, asking me to pass on the
informations to RGR the following: "The book exists! Actually, I
have an autographed copy of it. Diana Bellucci has written
something titled (approximately) A Guide to Pronunciation of
French Rose Names..... ....
http://howtopronounce.com/body_press_releases.html
http://howtopronounce.com/body_about.html

Hope this helps.

Ahhhhh! See why we ask questions, class?
This is all very helpful, thank you. I had faith ...
Thanks again,

Mike, I am glad that you find this useful. I will pass on all your
thanks to my friend, who relaly earned it, being the Real Rosarian and a
very generous soul in sharing the Rose Knowledge acquired over a long time.

--
Radika
California