Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea devoured

A hydrangea in a low maintenance part of the garden had its leaves eaten
by a bug last year. By the time we noticed the leaves were completely
gone. Not knowing how the plant would react we did not do much to it
over the winter.

Leaves reappeared patchily this year and now the bug is back. I have cut
up and burnt the affected parts and visit regular to squash bugs as they
appear.

Lots of questions:
What is it?
Should I abandon my usual reluctance to use pesticide?
If so which pesticide?
Is it likely to spread to other plants?

There are some pictures he
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/
--
Ellis Morgan
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ellis Morgan" wrote ...

A hydrangea in a low maintenance part of the garden had its leaves eaten
by a bug last year. By the time we noticed the leaves were completely
gone. Not knowing how the plant would react we did not do much to it over
the winter.

Leaves reappeared patchily this year and now the bug is back. I have cut
up and burnt the affected parts and visit regular to squash bugs as they
appear.

Lots of questions:
What is it?
Should I abandon my usual reluctance to use pesticide?
If so which pesticide?
Is it likely to spread to other plants?

There are some pictures he
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/

Possibly one of the Capsid Bugs but not one I've come across myself...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...d=484#section1
Under the circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to use a pesticide, as for
which, is there any choice left, see above.
Needs to be sprayed ASAP to save the plant and stop whatever they are
spreading elsewhere.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Ellis Morgan" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks Bob,
The pesticide reference is very helpful.

I am not sure if they are capsid bugs. Capsids seem to do the damage as
adults, while what I have are larvae. I can't find anything about capsid
larvae.

Googling around has led me to noctuidae larvae, but none I saw is a good
match for what is on my plant. I have moved the close up larva picture
to the top of my garden web page.

They seem to crawl up the plant until they get to the topmost leaf and
attack that. That is why there are so many clustered on the top of the
branch I lopped off.

The numbers do seem to be reducing under my regular squashing visits and
there is no sign of them on any other plant. The nearest are winter
jasmine and choisia.
--
Ellis Morgan
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ellis Morgan" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
"Ellis Morgan" wrote ...

[...]

If you are a RHS member (or if a friend is) you could send your photo links
to them and ask them what it is...
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help...visory-Service

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Ellis Morgan" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
"Ellis Morgan" wrote ...

A hydrangea in a low maintenance part of the garden had its leaves
eaten by a bug last year. By the time we noticed the leaves were
completely gone. Not knowing how the plant would react we did not
do much to it over the winter.

Leaves reappeared patchily this year and now the bug is back. I
have cut up and burnt the affected parts and visit regular to
squash bugs they appear.

[...]

Bob,

My wife was a RHS member for a while and we still have friends who
belong.

However someone at bugclub has suggested that I check that my hydrangea
is not a Guelder Rose because he thinks what I have is a Guelder Rose
leaf beetle larva. He is right on both counts.

So it's back red-faced to growing the forsythia for me.

The rather drastic action I have taken does seem to be reducing the
plague. I don't know if the plant will survive, but I am hopeful for a
couple of its layered children.
--
Ellis Morgan

Old 14-05-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ellis Morgan" wrote in message
A hydrangea in a low maintenance part of the garden had its leaves eaten by
a bug last year. By the time we noticed the leaves were completely gone.
Not knowing how the plant would react we did not do much to it over the
winter.

Leaves reappeared patchily this year and now the bug is back. I have cut
up and burnt the affected parts and visit regular to squash bugs as they
appear.

Lots of questions:
What is it?
Should I abandon my usual reluctance to use pesticide?
If so which pesticide?
Is it likely to spread to other plants?

There are some pictures he
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/
--
Ellis Morgan

Don't know much about these things but a Google search threw up a
possibility - a ladybird larva ??

There were so many caterpillars etc. on the page means my suggestion is
only a guess.

Bill

Old 14-05-2011, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 14, 9:52*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Not lady bird lava.
Old 16-05-2011, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes

[...]

Thanks Bill, and all the others that replied.

The consensus is that the plant is a Guelder Rose and what ate most of
its leaves it was Guelder Rose leaf beetle larvae.

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/p6/p63070.php
http://www.ispot.org.uk/node/142463?...thumbnail_grid

The nearest alternative was Alder leaf beetle larvae but, although they
look similar and probably share lots of genes, they seem much darker.
Even I can tell an alder from a hydrangea.

The good news is that yesterday I inspected the bush and found no
larvae. I am hopeful that there is enough left for the bushes to
recover. The ground underneath the bush has never been so clear of
debris.

Thanks again to all.
--
Ellis Morgan

The Deer have Devoured my Roses [email protected] Roses 4 10-07-2008 10:41 PM
Hibiscus devoured HA HA Budys Here Gardening 2 18-08-2004 01:13 AM
Marigolds devoured [email protected] Gardening 6 14-09-2003 05:02 PM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM