Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Deserted

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
.. .
Over the past few weeks, the number of small birds in my garden (in
Hampshire) has plummeted worryingly. Normally, whenever I look out of the
window, there will be at least a few tits and/or finches to be seen,
either on the feeders or in the trees and shrubs, even at quiet times of
the year. Now, it's all too common for me not to see any birds at all.
The seed feeders have been deserted and are only going down by an inch or
two each week, rather than needing to be refilled every day or two. I've
been watching the birds in my garden, in Hampshire) regularly, for several
years and I've never known it as quiet as this. Visitors have also
commented on the lack of the normal cabaret outside my windows!

The larger birds are still around; I'm seeing plenty of starlings and
pigeons, along with some blackbirds, a greater spotted woodpecker and the
odd crow.

Has anyone heard of similar problems in other areas and do you know what
the problem could be. I can't think of anything locally which has changed
recently and which could have caused it.

--
Cheers, Serena

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Hi Serena

Just south and overseas to you on the Isle of Wight. Plenty of birds here.
Bluetits nesting and I think now feeding 'littluns' a few feet away from me
as I type http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q picture 1 shows the Bluetit
box from the computer, picture SG101002 shows a big Bay Tree with a
Blackbird's nest in and I think that has young in it. Visitors to our garden
remark on the number of birds as well.

Sparrows by the million. I think I saw a Hawk take off with a Sparrow this
morning, but by the time I had got up and cleared the veranda, nothing in
sight

Crossposted to uk.rec.gardening because I know there are some gardeners
interested in birds as well ;-))

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

* 'Mike' wrote, On 11/05/2011 11:30:
Just south and overseas to you on the Isle of Wight. Plenty of birds here.
Bluetits nesting and I think now feeding 'littluns' a few feet away from me
as I typehttp://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q picture 1 shows the Bluetit
box from the computer, picture SG101002 shows a big Bay Tree with a
Blackbird's nest in and I think that has young in it. Visitors to our garden
remark on the number of birds as well.

Thanks Mike, it's good to know that it's not a universal problem!

--
Cheers, Serena

I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
(Jerome K. Jerome)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* 'Mike' wrote, On 11/05/2011 11:30:

snip
Thanks Mike, it's good to know that it's not a universal problem!

--
Cheers, Serena

I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. (Jerome
K. Jerome)

Plenty here, too in Pembrokeshire. Pair of BTs in the box with a camera and
six siskins, up to 22 goldfinches, loads of Chaff & Greenfinches; nine
collared doves, 8 rooks, 3 magpies, one great spotted, not many GTs, though.

The camera is working again but I have a nasty 'hum' on the sound so videos
with no sound for now. Latest pix and video just posted.

--
Dave & Viv are living happily ever after in Pembrokeshire.
www.daviv.com for bird diary and videos.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* 'Mike' wrote, On 11/05/2011 11:30:

snip
Thanks Mike, it's good to know that it's not a universal problem!

--
Cheers, Serena

I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
(Jerome
K. Jerome)

Plenty here, too in Pembrokeshire. Pair of BTs in the box with a camera
and
six siskins, up to 22 goldfinches, loads of Chaff & Greenfinches; nine
collared doves, 8 rooks, 3 magpies, one great spotted, not many GTs,
though.

The camera is working again but I have a nasty 'hum' on the sound so
videos
with no sound for now. Latest pix and video just posted.

--
Dave & Viv are living happily ever after in Pembrokeshire.
www.daviv.com for bird diary and videos.

Mains Hum? 50 c/s ? Laminations on a step down transformer gone loose?
Had that problem on something years ago, took it out, squeezed the
laminations together in a vice ;-) and re varnished it :-)) Worked :-)

Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Dave Hall" wrote in message
"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* 'Mike' wrote, On 11/05/2011 11:30:

snip
[...]

:-)

That's fine for actual sound coming from the power supply, but I'm sure Dave
is referring to the sound channel on the wiring from the box. Which could
arise in numerous ways... BTW with the proliferation of switched-mode power
supplies mains hum is nearly as rare as mains transformers!

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
'Mike' wrote:
"Dave Hall" wrote in message
"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in message
* 'Mike' wrote, On 11/05/2011 11:30:
snip
[...]

Bloody technology. What happened to the man with the red flag in front of my
car? Where did he do? ;-)

Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Mains Hum? 50 c/s ? Laminations on a step down transformer gone loose?
Had that problem on something years ago, took it out, squeezed the
laminations together in a vice ;-) and re varnished it :-)) Worked :-)

Mike
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thanks for that pointer, Mike. I tried a different adapter and... no hum.
Brilliant! Thanks. Watch out for videos with sound, now.

Dave.

--
It is very strange, and very melancholy,
that the paucity of human pleasures

Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
Mains Hum? 50 c/s ? Laminations on a step down transformer gone loose?
Had that problem on something years ago, took it out, squeezed the
laminations together in a vice ;-) and re varnished it :-)) Worked :-)

Mike
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thanks for that pointer, Mike. I tried a different adapter and... no hum.
Brilliant! Thanks. Watch out for videos with sound, now.

Dave.

--
It is very strange, and very melancholy,
that the paucity of human pleasures
should persuade us ever to call hunting
one of them. (Samuel Johnson)

:-))