Old 15-05-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain, what rain?

They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-05-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol

:-))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 15-05-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:06:04 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol

:-))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain

Thank you Mike, now I know what to look for!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-05-2011, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:03:59 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol

Sorry, there's just too much in this post to digest. I can work out
"showers", even "scattered" at a push but I'm not sure what a "deluge"
is. Then you say "rained". I think the correct spelling is "reigned"
but is it proper to refer to Her Maj as an "it"? Anyway, the Court
Circular makes no mention of her being in Bristol recently.

I am wondering if you are referring to "precipitation" but I don't
even remember what that is properly. It's just a big word I read
somewhere. I recall it was preceded by "lack of".

As to "drops on your window" do you mean something like the little
bits of water that hit the window when I'm using the sprinkler on a
patch of newly seeded lawn?

Jake (in central South Wales)
Old 15-05-2011, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

I notice Jake that you don't tell Pam of the rain we have had here in
South Wales over the last week or so, in all just over an inch, though
we missed a cloudburst last Thursday by about half a mile. I had just
left home for a meeting at the Welsh National Botanic Gardens
http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/ when I was hit by torential rain
viusibility was down to about 200 yds, 2 miles on it had become light
rain , and a mile further on the motorway was dry.

Old 15-05-2011, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Precipitation - the stuff you probably got just before midday last Monday.
M4 traffic down to 25 mph with about 30 yds visibility at Port Talbot.

Bill

Old 15-05-2011, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Eh! What rain is that? I've had a couple of short sharp showers for
maybe a minute or so. I actually blogged one day last week that I
could look up to a bright sky but if I looked towards your end of
Swansea Bay it looked dark and very dismal. Not the first time that
you and I, despite being probably less than 15 miles apart as the crow
flies, have experienced different weather.
Old 15-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well, I now have more permanent spots on my window, made by a bird! I
shall have to wait for some sky-water to wash it off. Could be a long
wait!

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I have a couple of examples I use of weather differences over a close area.
Years ago I was in a play or Directing a play, forgot which, 9 miles away at
the Apollo Theatre in Newport. My car is at the bottom of our garden which
goes through to the next road. I got wet running down the garden to the car.
Got to Newport, as I say about 9 miles away, and dry pavements and people
walking about in shirt sleeves.

But the other was even closer. Someone at Arreton painting their windows.
Chucking it down at Apse Heath, 2 miles away.

I was Directing a play at the Apollo last night and thought I would go on my
motor bike :-(( Too risky with clouds about :-(

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 15-05-2011, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Would that be Monday 9 May? I'm about three quarters of a mile north
of M4 J37 (Pyle). Couple of short sharp showers. Thassit. I blogged
about it at http://www.rivendell.org.uk/wordpress/?page_id=345.

Years ago I worked in the centre of Cardiff and can remember one
occasion where it was chucking it down at the back of the building but
dry at the front. Weather can be like that!

Cheers Bill

Jake

Old 15-05-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

I hope you get your wish, we have had some rain here in Windsor, but not
very heavy.

Alan

Old 15-05-2011, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

If the sun gets right tomorrow, I'll try to photograph a rather
colourful streak on the lounge window here. Not the usual white splash
with dark bits but a mix of red and blue hues.

As to washing it off, I'll go with your recommendation and see if the
local supermarkets sell this "sky-water" you mention. Is it good for
getting general dirt of windows as well as bird poop?

Jake in South Wales
Old 15-05-2011, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Jake in South Wales- Hide quoted text -

Jake
I used to be based in Greyfriars Road, Cardiff then was moved to
Cathedral Rd.
Where were you?
David
Old 16-05-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:23:49 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

snipped

Jake
I used to be based in Greyfriars Road, Cardiff then was moved to
Cathedral Rd.
Where were you?
David

From '72 to '96 at Glamorgan/Mid Glamorgan County Hall on Edward VII
Avenue but with a very short interlude in their Greyfriars Road
office next to New Theatre.
Jake
Old 16-05-2011, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote in
:

I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol

Your husband may be of assiatance if you ask nicely and say thankyou
afterwards

I just want 't good deluge - at night please!(Yorkshire dialect).

Only joking.
Baz