Old 23-05-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Chelsea 2011

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

Old 23-05-2011, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:54:27 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

Hey! She's wonderful: gardening needs that un-telly-like genuineness.

But on that sort of tack, I'm pretty sure somebody told us last year,
but I've forgotten: who in ruination is Nicky Chapman?

What was the name of the curly allium? And why "artisans' gardens"?
Does the RHS think we still use the word "artisan" except when
speaking of French bakeries? Or are they trying to avoid saying "poor
peoples' gardens", on the grounds that it would be rude?

--
Mike.
Old 23-05-2011, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

We like Christine, both in person and on telly. What you see is
exactly who she is, not gussied up, or 'presenting her best side Mr
Goldwyn' etc. I'd like to see more people like her, aware of the
plants rather than themselves.

A friend of mine who ran a gardening club had Christine as a speaker,
and put her up for the night. I'm told she was naturally friendly
and just as she appears. Id rather see her enthusiasm than that Nicky
Chapman who doesn't seem to be a gardener.......

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-05-2011, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

We like Christine, both in person and on telly. What you see is
exactly who she is, not gussied up, or 'presenting her best side Mr
Goldwyn' etc. I'd like to see more people like her, aware of the
plants rather than themselves.

A friend of mine who ran a gardening club had Christine as a speaker,
and put her up for the night. I'm told she was naturally friendly
and just as she appears. Id rather see her enthusiasm than that Nicky
Chapman who doesn't seem to be a gardener.......

Pam in Bristol

She was here to do a small tv piece on us about two years ago. She was
absolutely natural and completely a what you see is what you get sort
of person. Ray had met her before, I hadn't and I liked her
enormously. I hope this means the Beeb is going to use her a LOT more
because she really is one of those who is passionate about the plants
and not herself and some silly, gimmicky behaviour. She knows just
what she's talking about and needs no 'puff stuff' to get her point
across. We think she's an under-valued asset to the tv gardening world
and would like to see that situation change, please!

C W is becoming a regular on GQTb also.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-05-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

We like Christine, both in person and on telly. What you see is
exactly who she is, not gussied up, or 'presenting her best side Mr
Goldwyn' etc. I'd like to see more people like her, aware of the
plants rather than themselves.

A friend of mine who ran a gardening club had Christine as a speaker,
and put her up for the night. I'm told she was naturally friendly
and just as she appears. Id rather see her enthusiasm than that Nicky
Chapman who doesn't seem to be a gardener.......

Yes: I see nobody's found out the answer to my question: who the devil
is la Chapman? I'm sure she's excellent at whatever she usually does,
but what's she doing in a gardening prorgramme?

--
Mike.

Old 24-05-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Watching this evening, it looks like a good show, but Oh dear! where
did they find Christine Walkden?

We like Christine, both in person and on telly. What you see is
exactly who she is, not gussied up, or 'presenting her best side Mr
Goldwyn' etc. I'd like to see more people like her, aware of the
plants rather than themselves.

A friend of mine who ran a gardening club had Christine as a speaker,
and put her up for the night. I'm told she was naturally friendly
and just as she appears. Id rather see her enthusiasm than that Nicky
Chapman who doesn't seem to be a gardener.......

Yes: I see nobody's found out the answer to my question: who the devil
is la Chapman? I'm sure she's excellent at whatever she usually does,
but what's she doing in a gardening prorgramme?

A bit of hunting on the BBC Chelsea pages reveals that :

"Nicki is one of television's most sought after lifestyle presenters,
bringing her own warmth and energy to the screens. Nicki has presented
a wide range of programmes for the BBC including Escape to the Country
and Wanted Down Under. Chelsea is one of Nicki's favourite presenting
jobs, she loves to be onsite surrounded by the experts and indulging
her passion for plants and gardening. She always tries to take away
ideas from the showground to use in her own garden, this year she'll
be hosting daytime programmes with co-presenter Andy Sturgeon."

I have to admit I'd never heard of her until this week. Did she
present anything to do with Chelsea last year, or the year before? If
she did I must have missed it somehow.

And I discovered that Christine Walkden has a web site at
http://www.christinewalkden.com/ in case anyone is interested (I like
her style by the way).
Old 24-05-2011, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill said:

[...]

Ms Chapman was on last year, yes. Clearly one of those daytime TV
people. She seems perfectly amiable, but we need experts, not
amiables; mind you, with those adenoids, if her voice went up half an
octave, she could play Mr Punch. Watch out for her in a panto near
you...

--
Mike.

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

In 2006 and 2008 see below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicki_Chapman

Chapman worked her way up in the music industry from being Promotions
Assistant at MCA records at the age of 21. She later worked at RCA as
Head of Promotions where she first met Simon Cowell. Up until the end
of 2000 she was a joint partner in the Brilliant! PR company with Nick
Godwyn [1] which represented, among others, the Spice Girls, Kylie
Minogue, Charlotte Church, Take That, David Bowie, Van Morrison,
Billie Piper as well as the PR for the BRIT Awards and the Big
Breakfast. Having met and worked with Simon Fuller in the nineties she
joined his management company 19 Entertainment in January 2001 as
Creative Director, working with acts including Annie Lennox, Will
Young, S Club 7, and Spice Girls.
Chapman rose to fame as a judge on the UK editions of the ITV
television series Popstars and Pop Idol, together with Nigel Lythgoe
and Paul Adam (on Popstars), Simon Cowell, Pete Waterman and Dr Fox
(on Pop Idol). Pop Idol was the top rated TV show in the UK for 2001
and 2003 making Chapman a household name.

Nicki Chapman at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2008
She currently works as a presenter and has fronted a number of
lifestyle and current affairs programmes for the BBC and ITV including
Holiday (BBC 1), BBC Breakfast News, Holidays at Home (BBC 1), The
Morning Show (BBC 1), Sunday Style (BBC 2), Castle In The Country (BBC
2), Escape To The Sun (BBC 1), City Hospital (BBC 1), Holiday Ten Best
(BBC 1) and others. In May 2006 she introduced the BBC's lunchtime
coverage of the Chelsea Flower Show with Andy Sturgeon and Charlie
Dimmock, and did so again in 2008 with Sturgeon and Chris Carter. She
presented a series for Sky 1 called Made In LA which investigated
behind the scenes of the rich and famous.
In 2006, Chapman was one of twelve celebrities in the BBC's Sport
Relief showjumping programme Only Fools on Horses. Despite being a
novice, and suffering a shoulder injury as a result of falling from
her horse during one of the live broadcasts, she came second, voted by
the public.
in May 2007 Nicki Chapman co-hosted the live ITV1 celebrity cookery
show, Soapstar Superchef (the spin off of Soapstar Superstar).
12 October 2008, Chapman joined her fellow ex-Pop Idol judges Pete
Waterman and Neil Fox on Peter Kay's Britain's Got The Pop Factor ...
And Possibly A New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly
On Ice, a spoof on the talent show genre of programmes.
In 2009 she appeared as a judge in Disney Channel's Hannah-Oke along
with Disney's Brad Kavanagh and Dancing on Ice judge Jason Gardiner.
Nicki was heard on BBC Radio 2 sitting in for Vanessa Feltz on Early
Breakfast during April 2011.
[edit]Personal life

Chapman has one sister Shelley (teacher), and twin nephews Dougal and
Christopher
She is married to Dave Shackleton (aka Shacky), Vice President of
International Sony BMG. They first met in 1991, and he asked her out
within two weeks - she turned him down, as she did for the next two
years.
Aged 21, Chapman applied for a promotions job in the music industry.
The next day, she called and said "I need to know if you want me, I've
been offered another job, but this is the one I really want." She was
given the job.[2]
--

Martin

other than that, ........... you don't know much about her ;-}

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

On 2011-05-23 19:54:27 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

I fail to see what is wrong with her, you don't need a gardening
expert to interview Celebs or to ask exhibitors about how they feel
about the medal they have won,