Old 30-05-2011, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hosepipes - Is it me?

On 29/05/2011 21:53, Jake wrote:

It's surprising how many garden taps leak, usually from the point
where the spindle with the handle at one end meets the tap body at the
other. Try tightening the nut that you'll find on the main body at
that point. But don't tighten too much or you won't be able to turn
the tap on/off.

Funnily enough, the garden tap I fitted 10 years ago has been leaking
around the spindle for a couple of months. On dismantling it, I was
surprised to find a hard white plastic bevelled washer which was
supposed to act as a seal when the spindle nut was tightened. I assume
this had distorted over the years. A dab of grease on the washer worked
for a couple of weeks, but then it started leaking again. A bit of
sisal (at least 50 years old) and a little grease was packed above the
washer and the spindle nut replaced and tightened just enough to allow
the tap to turn with a bit of resistance. No leaking so far.

--

Jeff
Old 30-05-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

There shouldn't be pressure on the hose, fit the timer valve to the tap
and the hose to it, so if the valve is shut, no pressure on the hose, if
the valve is open then so are the watering outlets so you shouldn't get
full pressure and even if you do it will only be for a few minuets

I love a good minuet

Pete C

Sorry its the name of a clematis and I am always getting muddled :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 30-05-2011, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 30, 9:03*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 29/05/2011 21:53, Jake wrote:

[...]

You can buy "valve stem packing" from a heating engineers supplier.
There are lots of different sorts.
It goes hard after a while and scores the valve stem if you're
unlucky. The stem then needs to be smoothed.
Old 31-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered User

It's hasty how abounding garden curtains leak, usually from the point where the arbor with the handle at one end meets the tap physique at the other. Try abbreviating the nut that you'll acquisition on the capital physique at that point.
cheap hydroponics