Old 29-05-2011, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hosepipes - Is it me?

I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

Old 29-05-2011, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

They don't if you use the proper screw thread connectors and gekos for where
you want to undo and reconnect.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 29-05-2011, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

They don't if you use the proper screw thread connectors and gekos for where
you want to undo and reconnect.

Our mains pressure is such that, long term, hosepipe will balloon and
eventually burst (long term being some weeks).

--
Chris Green

Old 29-05-2011, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a
tap - with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

They don't if you use the proper screw thread connectors and gekos for
where you want to undo and reconnect.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

What's a geko (apart from a lizardy thying)?

A metal connector in two halfs which twist together and lock with rubber
seals, much more reliable than those snap connectors. (I may have spelt it
wrong!)

There shouldn't be pressure on the hose, fit the timer valve to the tap and
the hose to it, so if the valve is shut, no pressure on the hose, if the
valve is open then so are the watering outlets so you shouldn't get full
pressure and even if you do it will only be for a few minuets

Old 29-05-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 11:19*am, "Eurofeeds"
wrote:
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

You need a pressure reducing valve. Simple.
Old 29-05-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

There shouldn't be pressure on the hose, fit the timer valve to the tap
and the hose to it, so if the valve is shut, no pressure on the hose, if
the valve is open then so are the watering outlets so you shouldn't get
full pressure and even if you do it will only be for a few minuets

I love a good minuet

Pete C

Old 29-05-2011, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/2011 18:46, harry wrote:
On May 29, 11:19 am, "Eurofeeds"
wrote:
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

You need a pressure reducing valve. Simple.

I've yet to find one of those which doesn't leak - seems to be essential
to its mode of operation.

--

Jeff
Old 29-05-2011, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:45:26 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
s.com...
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a
tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

They don't if you use the proper screw thread connectors and gekos for
where
you want to undo and reconnect.

We fitted a tap with the correct screw thread. The tap its self leaks.

Then if you are unable to fix it, get a plumber in!

Alan

--

Martin

Old 29-05-2011, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't actually want to use a timer - I just want to use a hosepipe without
water pouring down the house wall or the whole lot blowing off the tap. I
have at least 12 of these connectors - all the correct size but everyone
leaks, and I can guarantee if I bought a new one tomorrow that would leak as
well.

(but then we are sending our 3rd new fridge back because it doesn't work
properly;, have just bought a vacuum cleaner that is hopeless and given up
with it, and have a bill for £9000 for our extension plumbing, and that
doesn't work correctly either, so maybe its us)

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
. com...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

. com...

Old 29-05-2011, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:10 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:45:26 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
ds.com...
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a
tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

They don't if you use the proper screw thread connectors and gekos for
where
you want to undo and reconnect.

We fitted a tap with the correct screw thread. The tap its self leaks.

Then if you are unable to fix it, get a plumber in!

Alan

--

Martin

It's surprising how many garden taps leak, usually from the point
where the spindle with the handle at one end meets the tap body at the
other. Try tightening the nut that you'll find on the main body at
that point. But don't tighten too much or you won't be able to turn
the tap on/off.

I replaced both outside taps this year with taps that weren't part of
a kit. The taps cost about as much as the kits did originally. But
they don't leak. And they don't use that bendy hose thing that comes
in tap kits but are connected straight onto copper pipe coming thru
the wall. Water pressure's better as a result.

But as Alan says, if you can't sort the problem, try a plumber.

Down the line, plastic connectors can be a problem. Despite what they
say about compatibility, there are little differences between brands
and it's far better to stick to a single brand for all your
connections, be it Hozelock, Gardena or whatever. And if you want
longevity, investing in brass isn't a stupid idea.

Someone suggested pressure reducers. Hopefully you've got a stop
tap/cock in the pipework to the outside tap. Close it, say, half way
to begin with and see if that stops things springing off the
connectors (but bear in mind that different brands may mismatch).
Old 30-05-2011, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

*wrote:
I laugh when I see it suggested that you leave a timer connected to a tap -
with the tap open.

Every hosepipe and connector I have ever had leak or blows off the mains
tap/sprinkler. And that includes expensive ones with a Z in the name.

Is it just me?

You need a pressure reducing valve. *Simple.

I've yet to find one of those which doesn't leak - seems to be essential
to its mode of operation.

--

Jeff

It needs to be plumbed into the pipework not fixed with mickey mouse
hoses. It could cover the whole house there are benefits elsewhere
too.
You may already have one ajacent to your stop tap in the road.
Old 30-05-2011, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 9:53*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:10 +0100, "alan.holmes"

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:45:26 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
ds.com...
[...]

connectors (but bear in mind that different brands may mismatch).- Hide quoted text -

I said pressure reducing valve. Nothing to do with stopcocks.

Old 30-05-2011, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 10:06*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:53:44 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 21:38:10 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:45:26 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Eurofeeds" wrote in message
eds.com...
[...]

After a while it un tightens itself and leaks again.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

It needs new packing fitted, it has gone hard.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

After a while it un tightens itself and leaks again.

Go to a Plumbers Merchant and get some plumbers grease and use that around
the spindle/nut. The spindle should then revolve in the washer not take the
washer/nut round with it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden