Old 29-05-2011, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Mice

I have srawberries growing in grow bags for their 2nd year, last year
they were good and pest fre, but this year in the last week or so they
have been hit by mice who are chewing off the berries, stocking then
in clusters and just eating the seed off them. In all they have had
over 40 berries so far.
I've never come accross this before.
Caught 2 last night in 2 traps, tonight have 4 traps set.
Old 29-05-2011, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 May 2011 Dave Hill wrote:

I have srawberries growing in grow bags for their 2nd year, last year
they were good and pest fre, but this year in the last week or so they
have been hit by mice who are chewing off the berries, stocking then
in clusters and just eating the seed off them. In all they have had
over 40 berries so far.
I've never come accross this before.
Caught 2 last night in 2 traps, tonight have 4 traps set.

I don't know if anyone remembers that, a few weeks ago, I posted a
message which included my experience with mice and my onion sets.

Briefly to recap, I put a string bag of onion sets down on the tiled
floor of my sitting room. In two days mice had removed all but four. A
few days ago I, or rather my wife, discovered where they had hidden them
- in a cloth bag that they were using as a nest/food store.

Didn't get them all back but I've now planted them out.

They'd also nicked some runner bean seeds and eaten them, leaving only
the husks. They weren't interested in the other beans (French, red and
white beans).

Right! I really am taking the cats with me next time! Just got to get
Thibaud's passport up-to-date!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 30-05-2011, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 29, 10:43*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I have srawberries growing in grow bags for their 2nd year, last year
they were good and pest fre, but this year in the last week or so they
have been hit by mice who are chewing off the berries, stocking then
in clusters and just eating the seed off them. In all they have had
over 40 berries so far.
I've never come accross this before.
Caught 2 last night in 2 traps, tonight have 4 traps set.

Poison them. There will be hundreds out there.
Old 30-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On May 29, 10:43*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I have srawberries growing in grow bags for their 2nd year, last year
they were good and pest fre, but this year in the last week or so they
have been hit by mice who are chewing off the berries, stocking then
in clusters and just eating the seed off them. In all they have had
over 40 berries so far.
I've never come accross this before.
Caught 2 last night in 2 traps, tonight have 4 traps set.

Poison them. There will be hundreds out there.
Could they be field mice?

I had mice, just two. I had fatballs and hung peanuts. I thought the peanuts were going quickly on the feeder. I then had reason to go itnto the shed in spring. A huge mound of peanut shells and fatball crumbs shocked me, its years since I saw mice. There they were feasting on the fat balls all winter, and peanuts. I had put the fatballs in the shed to try the birds another day (birds did'nt like them) then we got a really bad winter and I forgot.

The pair of mice were hiding behind tins of paint and made a run for it lol I did'nt see them again till well into spring when I saw one behind the Leylandi hedging, that scattered accross road...somewhere.

Little crafty..
Old 30-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
I have srawberries growing in grow bags for their 2nd year, last year
they were good and pest fre, but this year in the last week or so they
have been hit by mice who are chewing off the berries, stocking then
in clusters and just eating the seed off them. In all they have had
over 40 berries so far.
I've never come accross this before.
Caught 2 last night in 2 traps, tonight have 4 traps set.
we have 2 apple trees and 2 pear trees and every year when they fruit we get rats either climbing the trees and eating the fruit, or eating the fruit on the ground that's fallen.
the trees fruiting nearly always coincides with the farmer harvesting his crops in the field next to us which i think worsens the problem.
It's nothing air rifles don't solve though, i don't using like poison

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 05:08 PM
mice mick United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Re. Mice Jeffery United Kingdom 0 18-12-2002 09:56 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM