Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spiraea Behaviour

In my front "garden" (it's a bed that faces onto the council's grass kind of
thing) I have a Spiraea "Japonica Firelight". It says on the tin that it's a
shrub and the internet describes it as "upright", but looking at it
yesterday while I was weeding and stuff like that, it's... I can't think of
a good word. Kind of "sprawling" rather than an upright shrubby shape. Will
the stems get harder and support a "shape" as it gets more mature? Should I
cut it to a particular shape? I can't quite describe what I mean, but it
looks at the moment like it wants to just sprawl along the ground rather
than grow up. It's not very big at the moment, about two foot across.

Ian

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 2, 5:48*pm, "Ian B" wrote:
In my front "garden" (it's a bed that faces onto the council's grass kind of
thing) I have a Spiraea "Japonica Firelight". It says on the tin that it's a
shrub and the internet describes it as "upright", but looking at it
yesterday while I was weeding and stuff like that, it's... I can't think of
a good word. Kind of "sprawling" rather than an upright shrubby shape. Will
the stems get harder and support a "shape" as it gets more mature? Should I
cut it to a particular shape? I can't quite describe what I mean, but it
looks at the moment like it wants to just sprawl along the ground rather
than grow up. It's not very big at the moment, about two foot across.

Ian

If you will buy Spiraeam in tins.
I'd cut it back after flowering, the new growth should grow to give
you much more upright growth., though it depends to some extent on the
variety.
A picture would help.
David
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 2, 5:48 pm, "Ian B" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave. I just figured out how to get a cameraphone bluetoothed to my
PC or whatnot, so now proudly present a first foray into plant photography--

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Image003.jpg

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Image004.jpg

(Image host is "family safe").

Ian

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...rden%201/?acti...

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...rden%201/?acti...

(Image host is "family safe").

Ian- Hide quoted text -

That looks quite normal for a young Spiraea the new growth comes up
through the old and gradualy the plant get taller, each lot of new
growth getting taller than the last.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:15 am, "Ian B" wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 2, 5:48 pm, "Ian B" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave, should I snip off that growth at the bottom after it's flowered
or will the plant sort of take care of its own shape?

Ian

which Spiraea is this? Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 2 12-06-2008 02:32 PM
Spiraea Japonica Anthony Waterer billdoor Gardening 3 05-06-2008 11:37 PM
Spiraea: alive or dead? Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 2 31-03-2008 10:34 PM
Odd Koi Behaviour? sandra Ponds 0 08-05-2003 03:08 AM
WHERE OH WHERE! can I find a Spiraea Thunbergii??????? Pat Davis Gardening 11 28-03-2003 02:56 PM