Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default O.T. myxi.

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

kate

Gloucestershire

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:46:34 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

JFGI "notifiable diseases
animal"

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

There is also:

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/man...iable-disease/

But that appears to miss out the notifiable diseases that have never
been seen in the UK.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

JFGI "notifiable diseases
animal"

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

There is also:

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/man...iable-disease/

But that appears to miss out the notifiable diseases that have never
been seen in the UK.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thank you both, my Defra site isn't working this morning but I will try
again later. its a horrible disease. I have found a big old rabbit this
morning and two little ones , I have put them into the cool long grass.

kate

Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:46:34 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

JFGI "notifiable diseases
animal"

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

There is also:

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/man...iable-disease/

But that appears to miss out the notifiable diseases that have never
been seen in the UK.

Myxi does not appear to be listed and I'm certain it isn't notifiable.
It's been endemic in Britain for decades.

--
Malcolm

Indeed it has, and as it was deliberately introduced by the government in
the first place it would be silly to have it as a notifible disease!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:46:34 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

JFGI "notifiable diseases
animal"

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

There is also:

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/man...iable-disease/

But that appears to miss out the notifiable diseases that have never
been seen in the UK.

Myxi does not appear to be listed and I'm certain it isn't notifiable.
It's been endemic in Britain for decades.

I have not seen it since I was a child in the 60's.
If it is not notifiable now, it should be.
It's a terrible thing.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Myxi does not appear to be listed and I'm certain it isn't notifiable.
It's been endemic in Britain for decades.

I have not seen it since I was a child in the 60's.
If it is not notifiable now, it should be.
It's a terrible thing.

We saw quite a few myxi rabbits round here up to a few years ago. I
don't know if the disease is still in these parts but I haven't seen a
rabbit with it for a couple of years.
--

My daughter took one of the little suffering rabbits and our vet confirmed
that is was indeed Myxi. It is possible that some will survive but there is

kate
Gloucestershire

Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 00:41:39 +0100, Christina Websell
wrote:

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

Myxi does not appear to be listed and I'm certain it isn't

notifiable.

As it's not in those Defar lists it isn't.

It's been endemic in Britain for decades.

Endemic isn't really a criteria for being notifiable. it's more down
to how lethal and easy to spread it is. See how some diseases on the
notifiable list have never (yet...) been seen in the UK. Rinderpest
is also listed and that has been, officially, eradicated globally
since 25th May 2011.

I have not seen it since I was a child in the 60's.
If it is not notifiable now, it should be.
It's a terrible thing.

Why should Defra spend their money on a disease of an non native pest
species by making mxyi notifiable? A disease that (AFAIK) does not
impact any stock animals.

Saw a mxyi rabbit somewhere around here the other month. The last
couple of sever cold spells has given the local rabbit population a
hefty knock back, far more than the mxyi ever has. Rabbits are
developing an immunity to it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 13:31:30 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

Endemic isn't really a criteria for being notifiable.

what I was trying to say was that notifying it would be pointless, not
least because it has been endemic for decades and therefore no-one is
interested in being told about its occurrence.

So no one is interested in being told about Bovine TB or Scrapie?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
We saw quite a few myxi rabbits round here up to a few years ago. I
don't know if the disease is still in these parts but I haven't seen a
rabbit with it for a couple of years.
-
I think it's cyclic. It spreads more easily when the rabbit population is higher so the rabbits are in close contact. Then when the rabbit population has decreased as a result, it can't spread so well, so the rabbit population builds up again, and then it can spread again sop you have another obvious outbreak.
__________________
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

[...]

It certainly does affect farmed and pet rabbits. And it's only a pest
when it isn't being properly managed -- which, I grant you, is nearly
always. It's potentially valuable for food and fur.

Saw a mxyi rabbit somewhere around here the other month. The last
couple of sever cold spells has given the local rabbit population a
hefty knock back, far more than the mxyi ever has. Rabbits are
developing an immunity to it.

Yes, but, I wonder, does the disease also mutate? The late Thurlow
Craig used to say that some rabbits lived mostly above ground, and as
a result were less vulnerable to the infection (as, I believe, are
hares). I've no idea if this theory is borne out by the evidence; but
an above-ground lifestyle would also leave the animals extremely
vulnerable to hard winters.

--
Mike.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ll.co.uk...
wrote:

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

Myxi does not appear to be listed and I'm certain it isn't

notifiable.

As it's not in those Defar lists it isn't.

It should be. If you haven't seen a rabbit dying of myxi, you should.
Their eyes are so swollen up they cannot see and it affects their limbs
also.
They lie about in the countryside waiting to die and then the crows see
them.
I truly thought we didn't have it now.
When I was younger, around 13 I got very interested in wildlife and my
friend was the same.
We were always out in the countryside, studying frogs and newts and birds
and stuff and then we found these dying rabbits.
We wondered what to do. My friend said, well we are out here miles from
anywhere so what should we do, should we kill them because they are in
agony?"
I was a wimp at the time and was not in favour of doing it, but I agreed in
the end and we found a rock to bang their heads on.
It's not something that 13 yo's should have to do and I think it's a
disgusting man-made disease that we should be ashamed of and I am horrified
that it's here again.
If you have wild rabbits that are a problem, either shoot them yourself or
get someone in that can.
Tina

Tweed

Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 22:24:43 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

... I think it's a disgusting man-made disease ...

I didn't think genetic engineering dated back to the late 1800's when
it was first discovered. Humans have spread it in an effort to
control rabbit populations but humans didn't make it.

I am horrified that it's here again.

It's never gone away, since it arrived in the UK in the 50's. I
suspect you are suffering trauma from your early teens experience.
Nature is red in tooth and claw. Rabbits are not native to the UK,
they are a pest.

Shooting is not practical around here with well over 100 square miles
of open moor with rabbits present. Traffic (about four road kills
within 100yds of the house yesterday morning) and the recent hard
winters have checked the population a little but if we have mild
winters it'll get out of control again. The buzzards can only take so
many and mxyi isn't that prelevant up here, the population may well
be immune.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Registered User

Location: cannock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:46:34 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

are we supposed to report myxomatosis or let it take its course, any one
know ?

JFGI "notifiable diseases
animal"

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm.../atoz/notifiab
le.htm

There is also:

Notifiable Diseases index

But that appears to miss out the notifiable diseases that have never
been seen in the UK.

--
Cheers
Dave.
Hi all myxi is no longer classed as a notifiable disease as its presence has been established for a number of years ,it affect on rabbit numbers is rapidly dropping as the humble bunny,has learned or shall we say adapted to not living underground as much as his ancestors, it comes in waves now and more cases are noted during the autum as flea numbers rise .it has been stated that some rabbits can and do recover from myxi however these individuals seldom form significant numbers needed to produce bunny,s that will become immune to this disease