Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sparse seeds

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:10:10 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

snip

I don't get fooled by sales drivel. My advice is sound. Innovation is
only of benefit in the field of vegetable growing if there is an
actual imoprovement or advantage. F1 has none of these. Same with
weird shapes and colours of say gourds.
They just produce this crap sothe can charge you more.

Tell me of the advantage if you know it.

I grow Sungold tomatoes every year.

Please suggest a variety which is basically the same in terms of cropping,
size, and taste which is not F1.

Many people have told me that they are the best tomatoes they have ever tasted.
Which would your variety be for that claim?

(PS I grow them by choice having tried many varieties over the years - no-one
has my arm up my back or a gun to my head)

(PPS If it will really annoy you : as a result of the cucumber discussion here
- I have just purchased 5 F1 cucumber seeds as well)

Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 00:49:15 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , David Rance
writes
I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one
doesn't get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me,
you haven't got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make
that sort of information larger!

Found packet David, NO notice on it anywhere that there was only a
couple of seeds in it!

You have probably torn off the bit where it says "Average content 4 seeds"

It is "typed" on the reverse side at the top of the packet.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith
writes
You have probably torn off the bit where it says "Average content 4 seeds"

It is "typed" on the reverse side at the top of the packet.

Ah silly me, yes you are probably right Judith! Still searching for the
bit of paper I have come across three other new packets of cucumber i
must have bought this spring
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes

How much did each seed actually cost Janet?

Oh goodness Judith no idea I'm afraid. I have ordered, bought or
exchanged about 250 packets of seeds including perennials, trees and
vegetables this year
If you want some different varieties to try next year i can send you a
couple of cucumber seeds from my spare packets if you like.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
The computer says £3.99

It was 3.99 with 10 per percent off probably then for the WHOLE packet.
Chipperfield nurseries have a discount day for car holders every now and
again so I would have presumably bought them on one of those days .
Can't tell you because I probably was helping to buy shrubs and bedding
for someone and added the seeds at the end, they'd have the printout
--
Janet Tweedy

Odonts on Parade - Odontoglossum Frechdachs - Gorgeous white flower with sparse burgundy spots Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 21-01-2007 03:17 AM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Sparse flowering Bergenia Sue United Kingdom 5 01-05-2006 08:55 AM
Sparse Azaleas Rachel Gardening 3 26-04-2005 03:05 PM
Have MOSO seeds To trade with other bamboo seeds or rhyzomes [email protected] Bamboo 1 30-06-2004 02:35 PM