Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sparse seeds

I opened a packet of T & M seeds today, Cucino cucumber which admittedly
F1 hybrids were still not cheaper than any other of their packets.
There were FOUR seeds inside!
I mean to say how miserly is that? Let's hope they ALL germinate

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 Janet Tweedy wrote:

I opened a packet of T & M seeds today, Cucino cucumber which
admittedly F1 hybrids were still not cheaper than any other of their
packets.
There were FOUR seeds inside!
I mean to say how miserly is that? Let's hope they ALL germinate

But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 12:19*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I opened a packet of T & M seeds today, Cucino cucumber which admittedly
F1 hybrids were still not cheaper than any other of their packets.
There were FOUR seeds inside!
I mean to say *how miserly is that? Let's hope they ALL germinate

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Go down to Poundstretcher. Much cheaper there.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 3, 8:31*pm, harry wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:19*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I opened a packet of T & M seeds today, Cucino cucumber which admittedly
F1 hybrids were still not cheaper than any other of their packets.
There were FOUR seeds inside!
I mean to say *how miserly is that? Let's hope they ALL germinate

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Go down to Poundstretcher. Much cheaper there.

You get what you pay for, if you want field grown seed of varieties
that went out of use commercially over 60 years ago then go to
Poundstretcher, if you want F1 hybrid all female varieties then you
have to pay for them, it is comm0n for F1 varieties to cost from 35p
to 50p a seed bought in bulk by growers.
T&M do advertise Cucino cucumber as 4 seeds to a packet
David Hill

Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

David

Ah didn't buy them on website got them at a garden centre David!! Didn't
see warning on the packet - must look it out.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
ou get what you pay for, if you want field grown seed of varieties
that went out of use commercially over 60 years ago then go to
Poundstretcher, if you want F1 hybrid all female varieties then you
have to pay for them, it is comm0n for F1 varieties to cost from 35p
to 50p a seed bought in bulk by growers.
T&M do advertise Cucino cucumber as 4 seeds to a packet
David Hill

Yes, like i said David it came as a surprise as i bought them because my
others got lost and i just want to try the smaller ones. i take you
point entirely that special seeds are expensive but it doesn't give you
much chance to get it right does it?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 Janet Tweedy wrote:

But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

Ah didn't buy them on website got them at a garden centre David!!
Didn't see warning on the packet - must look it out.

I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one
doesn't get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me, you
haven't got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make that
sort of information larger!

On the other end of the scale I had a packet of seeds this year which
said there was an average of 2,000 seeds in the packet! Two thousand?!
What am I going to do with two thousand seeds?

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 10:10*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 3, 8:31*pm, harry wrote:

[...]

Can you taste any difference? You are being conned.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 10:37*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 14:10:19 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

wrote:
On Jun 3, 8:31*pm, harry wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:19*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I opened a packet of T & M seeds today, Cucino cucumber which admittedly
F1 hybrids were still not cheaper than any other of their packets.
There were FOUR seeds inside!
I mean to say *how miserly is that? Let's hope they ALL germinate

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Go down to Poundstretcher. Much cheaper there.

You get what you pay for, if you want field grown seed of varieties
that went out of use commercially over 60 years ago then go to
Poundstretcher, if you want F1 hybrid all female varieties then you
have to pay for them, it is comm0n for F1 varieties to cost from 35p
to 50p a seed bought in bulk by growers.
T&M do advertise Cucino cucumber as 4 seeds to a packet

There are hundreds of skips full of cucumbers in Germany
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I bet none of them are F1 hybrid.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 9:51*am, David Rance
wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 *Janet Tweedy wrote:

But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

Ah didn't buy them on website got them at a garden centre David!!
Didn't see warning on the packet - must look it out.

I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one
doesn't get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me, you
haven't got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make that
sort of information larger!

On the other end of the scale I had a packet of seeds this year which
said there was an average of 2,000 seeds in the packet! Two thousand?!
What am I going to do with two thousand seeds?

David

--
David Rance * * * *writing from Caversham, Reading, UKhttp://rance.org.uk

I bet they don't all grow.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 Janet Tweedy wrote:

But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

Ah didn't buy them on website got them at a garden centre David!! Didn't
see warning on the packet - must look it out.

I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one doesn't
get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me, you haven't
got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make that sort of
information larger!

On the other end of the scale I had a packet of seeds this year which said
there was an average of 2,000 seeds in the packet! Two thousand?! What am
I going to do with two thousand seeds?

Plant a hundred each year!

Alan

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one
doesn't get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me,
you haven't got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make
that sort of information larger!

Found packet David, NO notice on it anywhere that there was only a
couple of seeds in it!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 9:38*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:31:51 +0100, Janet Tweedy

wrote:
In article , David Rance
writes
But they do warn you on the web site that there are only four. You
needn't have bought them!

David

Ah didn't buy them on website got them at a garden centre David!! Didn't
see warning on the packet - must look it out.

Gardens of Distinction put 8 seeds in their packets last year.
--

Martin

F1 hybrids are actually undesireable. You get all your stuff at the
same time instead of a spread.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 Janet Tweedy wrote:

I would have made the same mistake in a garden centre. Somehow one
doesn't get time to examine all the details (especially if, like me,
you haven't got your reading glasses handy). They really ought to make
that sort of information larger!

Found packet David, NO notice on it anywhere that there was only a
couple of seeds in it!

In which case you've every right to feel aggrieved.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Odonts on Parade - Odontoglossum Frechdachs - Gorgeous white flower with sparse burgundy spots Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 21-01-2007 03:17 AM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Sparse flowering Bergenia Sue United Kingdom 5 01-05-2006 08:55 AM
Sparse Azaleas Rachel Gardening 3 26-04-2005 03:05 PM
Have MOSO seeds To trade with other bamboo seeds or rhyzomes [email protected] Bamboo 1 30-06-2004 02:35 PM