Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis question

A friend has asked me a question about his clematis. This is apparently
growing well up a trellis, used to hide the shed [I haven't seen it]. He
wants to know, if he pinches the growing tip out now that it has reached
the height he wants, will it bush up?

I haven't a clue, so I thought I'd ask the people who know :-}

--
Kathy

Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
A friend has asked me a question about his clematis. This is apparently
growing well up a trellis, used to hide the shed [I haven't seen it]. He
wants to know, if he pinches the growing tip out now that it has reached
the height he wants, will it bush up?

I haven't a clue, so I thought I'd ask the people who know :-}

--
Kathy

They will branch after cutting but usually only just below the cut, if you
want more from the ground up they need harder pruning at some point the
timing of which depends on the type of Clematis being talked about.
Clematis are never that good at covering things up because without a lot of
work they do tend to go up and flower at the top

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
A friend has asked me a question about his clematis. This is apparently
growing well up a trellis, used to hide the shed [I haven't seen it]. He
wants to know, if he pinches the growing tip out now that it has reached
the height he wants, will it bush up?

I haven't a clue, so I thought I'd ask the people who know :-}

--
Kathy

They will branch after cutting but usually only just below the cut, if you
want more from the ground up they need harder pruning at some point the
timing of which depends on the type of Clematis being talked about.
Clematis are never that good at covering things up because without a lot
of work they do tend to go up and flower at the top

Thanks Charlie, I'll pass that on to him.

--
Kathy