Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default flower seeds in 1960's magazines

Hi
I am doing some research for a crofting museum that has a building that was
occupied in the 1960's.
They have identified the small flower beds that were used, and chatted to
the elderly original occupant.
She remembers getting seeds from magazines - now whether this was the likes
of "peoples friend" or a gardening magazine of the time, we do not know, but
can anyone help with what sorts of flower seeds would be most likely to be
given away in the 1960's ?

And what other likely flowering plants would she have used in a West Coast
of Scotland croft garden - not veggies.

appreciate your time and assistance.

--
regards
Jill Bowis

Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:41:27 +0100, " Jill"
wrote:

Hi
I am doing some research for a crofting museum that has a building that was
occupied in the 1960's.
They have identified the small flower beds that were used, and chatted to
the elderly original occupant.
She remembers getting seeds from magazines - now whether this was the likes
of "peoples friend" or a gardening magazine of the time, we do not know, but
can anyone help with what sorts of flower seeds would be most likely to be
given away in the 1960's ?

And what other likely flowering plants would she have used in a West Coast
of Scotland croft garden - not veggies.

appreciate your time and assistance.

http://www.20th-century-collectables...plesfriend.htm

so searches for old magazine covers.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Jill" wrote in
:

Hi
I am doing some research for a crofting museum that has a building
that was occupied in the 1960's.
They have identified the small flower beds that were used, and chatted
to the elderly original occupant.
She remembers getting seeds from magazines - now whether this was the
likes of "peoples friend" or a gardening magazine of the time, we do
not know, but can anyone help with what sorts of flower seeds would be
most likely to be given away in the 1960's ?

And what other likely flowering plants would she have used in a West
Coast of Scotland croft garden - not veggies.

appreciate your time and assistance.

I was born in the 60's and my late father used to get packets of seed from
a magazine, and the only one I can remember him having was Readers Digest,
and he subscribed for years, maybe 30.
My aunt(dads sister) who I have been talking to this morning is a bit
fuzzy, like me, and thinks the seed was chrysanthimum amongst others.
My dad took to growing chrysanths. at that time, and thats why we think
this.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the museum.

Baz