Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default molehills

I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them eslewhere?
or what?

[g]

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2011 14:51, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them eslewhere?
or what?

[g]

I've used the fine molehill earth mixed with cheap potting compost.
Unfortunately the ground just sinks over time where they've taken the
soil from. Even kicking the soil around doesn't help. One of our lawns
is now very treacherous to walk on without risking twisting an ankle in
one of the many subsidence holes.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 10, 3:33*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" *wrote ...

I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them elsewhere?
or what?

The old Head Gardeners used to use it for making potting compost. They used
to send the young lads out to collect it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I still do, after cooking it in a microwave to steralize it..
Remember the moles have taken it from under your lawn, it's a good
idea to save it for when the lawn sinks, you can cut the turf and put
the soil back where it came from
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 3:33 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" wrote ...

I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them elsewhere?
or what?

The old Head Gardeners used to use it for making potting compost. They
used
to send the young lads out to collect it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

I still do, after cooking it in a microwave to steralize it..
Remember the moles have taken it from under your lawn, it's a good
idea to save it for when the lawn sinks, you can cut the turf and put
the soil back where it came from
.................................................. ................................

When we had our big garden in the country, we found that the Moles went from
West to East and the neighbours got them. Can anyone confirm this?

(My daughter and son in law have a landscaped walled garden of some 2 acres
and they too have Moles, but they seem to be "static". How the devil do you
get rid of those???????? ;-))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" wrote ...

I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them elsewhere?
or what?

The old Head Gardeners used to use it for making potting compost. They
used
to send the young lads out to collect it.

I still do, after cooking it in a microwave to steralize it..
Remember the moles have taken it from under your lawn, it's a good
idea to save it for when the lawn sinks, you can cut the turf and put
the soil back where it came from

Under my cabbages etc in my case. Makes it difficult to walk on the plot
with the earth constantly giving way but at least they haven't gone straight
down a row of parsnips as they did last year damaging some of them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"george [dicegeorge]" wrote ...

I have piles of thin earth from moles on my lawn.

Should I just kick them flat?
or remove them and use them elsewhere?
or what?

The old Head Gardeners used to use it for making potting compost. They
used
to send the young lads out to collect it.

I still do, after cooking it in a microwave to steralize it..
Remember the moles have taken it from under your lawn, it's a good
idea to save it for when the lawn sinks, you can cut the turf and put
the soil back where it came from

Under my cabbages etc in my case. Makes it difficult to walk on the plot
with the earth constantly giving way but at least they haven't gone
straight down a row of parsnips as they did last year damaging some of
them.

I hardly dare say I don't have moles. Yet.
My friend has them and they have totally undermined her lawn.